Author Topic: Laminate sizes  (Read 1794 times)

Offline feral

Laminate sizes
« on: February 06, 2016, 03:28:54 am »
Hey All,
I have some left over osage that I have cut into strips. I have an idea that maybe, I can use them to make a laminated bow.
The plan is to have a bamboo back and either a couple of osage strips glued together or osage belly and something else in the middle.
Does anyone have some dimensions of what the lams could be?
Or some suggestions on  the possible make up of a similar bow.
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Laminate sizes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:36:54 am »
1/8" belly and core should get you in the ball park but bow width and length will make a difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:53:53 am »
There are some build-alongs over on TG if you want to go there and do a quick search for trilam.  Most of the laminations will fall between 1/8 and 1/4".
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 06:22:38 am »
Of course the resulting draw weight depends on other factors as well, but I've found for something like a 62" long d/r longbow, with the bamboo thinned to almost 1/8 at the center and almost 1/16 at the tips, an osage core lam .200" parallel thickness from dip to dip(12 inches), then tapering to the tips at a rate of .0035/1", and a parallel osage belly lam of .200" I can make bows in the 50's or low 60's of draw weight.

This is assuming accurate grinding, tapering, and shaping so that there is minimal wood removed during tillering.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:56:53 am »
In addition to TG that mwosborn posted, The Traditional Bowyers Bible,vol. 4 has a great section by Mike Westvang of Dryad Bows.  Includes a very detailed build-along with recipe for a 55#, 64" reflex/deflex trilam with  bamboo back, osage mid lam and osage belly reflex/deflex. 

c.d.

Offline feral

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:16:17 am »
Thanks, just waiting for Vol 4 to arrive