Author Topic: Quiet Bows  (Read 4083 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Quiet Bows
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 08:25:09 am »
So it is more than just a vibrating string as first stated.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 08:36:09 am »
Could be or could be not. Since none of us but DC has the bow, we may never know what the culprit is. All of our comments were just suggestions to look at. All cause noise. One or more is at fault.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 08:47:12 am »
  I think what DC is saying that the yew bow he has now he is happy with and it is very quiet. Some of the other bows he has made gave him a whacking noise. If your tiller is good on those bows I would look at arrow spine and checking your nock height when you tune the bow and arrow set up you have. I think too stiff of arrows is more common than too weak when the arrow is hitting the side of the bow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 09:13:58 am »
I see...OK then.Sorry a misunderstanding.Yes tiller/nock placement/arrow spine/form and follow through/brace height are all things to look into then.Hopefully the next bow made shoots like the yew then.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 12:02:14 pm »
  I think what DC is saying that the yew bow he has now he is happy with and it is very quiet. Some of the other bows he has made gave him a whacking noise. If your tiller is good on those bows I would look at arrow spine and checking your nock height when you tune the bow and arrow set up you have. I think too stiff of arrows is more common than too weak when the arrow is hitting the side of the bow.

You're right Steve. I noticed that people weren't quite understanding my question but that seems to happen a lot. I don't write clearly I guess. I apologise for that. Anyway, I was still getting the answers that I was after so I just let it slide.

Yes, the new Yew bow is quiet. It's about 45# and the arrows are bamboo, spined from 44-50# with 100gr tips.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »
I was sure i understood the initial question,it was the replys that were confusing me. :o

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 05:45:54 pm »
Oh the wacking noise is the arrow hitting the side of the bow which is caused by too high a spine or too low a brace height. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!