Author Topic: Hewing hatchet  (Read 1330 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Hewing hatchet
« on: January 29, 2016, 09:36:18 am »
After using a hatchet to work down a few staves, I thought'd work even better to have a hatchet with a chisel grind (hewing).  Well, thanks to my buddy Tom Roland, I've got one now!  My second hafting job and much better than the first.  The handle can out a little small for my hands, even for such a small head (1lb).  It would probably be easier to start with a new head than redo this one, so I'm going to tinker with it some and it I still think it's too small I'll trade it to someone with smaller hands!!!!  You can see the evidence of sharpness, which is really nice, if I can't connect with a previous strike, I literally can place it in there and push and slices right out.  Thanks for looking.  Handle is maple btw.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Re: Hewing hatchet
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 02:33:38 am »
That's a great looking little chopper. The handle looks nice- shame its not the right fit. Hopefully you'll have it sorted soon!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:26:24 am »
Figured a solution.  Leather wrap.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:25:03 am »
I've been looking for an old hewing myself. Haven't found anything local though I have located a few pricey ones on the auction site.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.