Author Topic: two broken bows make one,vine maple and pecan,,full draw added  (Read 4926 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: two broken bows make one,vine maple and pecan,,full draw added
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 06:05:25 pm »
Badly Bent thanks for the positive comments on the  project,,,
the bottom limb is a little wider,, but it is still to stiff,, I have been taking off the belly,, but if I wanted to make it more narrow like the top limb I think I could do it and still have pretty even tiller,, the top limb had so much reflex it has been getting a bit weaker as I shoot the bow in,, making the bottom limb seem stiff,,, the bottom limb has a thinner layer of sinew and is pretty broken in, so it is not shifting that much,, the top limb had never been shot in,,( that bow broke during brace) so it has been shifting a bit like sinew bows do,,after giving your question consideration,, I think I will try to even up the width from limb to limb and see what she does,, as far as the different woods,, it seems pretty much like tillering any bow,, I don't really notice any big difference,, and it shoots just like a "normal" bow,, arrow flight has not been an issue,, shooting off my hand the arrow leaves really smoothly,, usually if the tiller is funky,, the arrow will hit my hand on release,, this  bow is smooth,,

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:43 pm »
Looks to me like a successful endeavor! You've given me the inspiration to resurrect a couple cast-offs, thanks for sharing this.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 09:42:18 pm »
thank you Hrothgar,, thats great to know you plan on bringing a few bows back into service,,,,best to you on your projects,, :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 05:09:01 am »
Waste not want not I always say, nice save Brad.  ;) I have done that a few times and have several 1/2 bows hanging in my rafters that I plan on putting together someday when the notion strikes me.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 12:50:27 pm »
thanks Pappy,, yes the notion has two strike you to work on one of these "hybrid" bows,, have to just in the right mood to have the patience to work one out,, and also letting the bow be what it will be,, and not get to hung up on a pre conceived outcome,, thats hard for us that like to control the end result,, but I think good practice,,in many ways,,  :)