Author Topic: Sinew over osage sapwood?  (Read 2488 times)

Offline DuBois

Sinew over osage sapwood?
« on: January 12, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »
I have some real nice and fairly short osage with sapwood left from under bark. Sapwood is about 1/4" thick. If I sinewed this with 3 courses, wouldn't that actually lighten the physical weight of the bow compared to an all heartwood bow? Wouldn't this turn the sapwood into a "core" for lack of better word? Any reason not to use sapwood if it is healthy?

There are a few drying checks running along the back but otherwise fine wood.

Offline Hamish

Re: Sinew over osage sapwood?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:26:39 pm »
 I haven't tried leaving the sapwood on with sinew. I remember reading somewhere old bowyers recommended
not leaving sapwood on both osage and yew as the sinew pulled the sapwood off the heartwood.
I'm sure someone has tried it and probably had no issues though.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:09:04 pm »
That makes sense Hamish. I think I may have read that somewhere now that you mention it. Thanks.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:50:47 pm »
Last fall I sinew backed a sapwood backed Osage bow that sleek had made for his personal hunting bow. We agreed on a trade because he had never done any sinew work. The bow took about 2 to 3 inches of reflex with a reverse brace. It seems to be shooting great for him so far. The only problem I had was I tried to apply the first layer while it was a bit to cool outside. It gelled up on me to fast and I think I got too much glue on it. Otherwise it turned out pretty good. As far as I know he has hunted with it some and shot it several times. Seems to be holding up great!

Patrick 
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:25:00 am »
Having a sinew layer over sapwood would give me more confidence in bending the bow further. 3 layers of sinew and glue will add more weight than saved. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:13:01 pm »
The bow pat is talking about is a sapwood hartwood osage just as you propose. I have had that bow back many times wirh sinew on it and she shoots great. It had a small crack in the back from i dont know what. Its a very narrow splinter of a bow that draws 45@26. I dont see a reason not to sinew sapwood. And to add, i dont see a reason to sinew sapwood unless its got a flaw?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 09:27:03 pm »
I've done it. Shoots fine
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 07:38:38 am »