Author Topic: Do you finish every bow you make?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: Do you finish every bow you make?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 07:35:25 pm »
I have recently started finishing a bunch of bows from my earlier attempts.  So to answer your question....I guess I don't finish all of them.  Once I'm thru the pile of shame maybe that will change.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 09:00:59 pm »
If I get a bow to shooting stage it gets finished.  If it doesn't perform like I expect it to I'll finish it up and give it away for a kid to shoot or if someone wants a "wall hanger".
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:47:04 pm »
i am usually working on quite a few bows,, once I get it too shoot, I may consider that finished,,sometimes I go back and revisit something from the past,,If I am going to give it away,,, I usually fix it up a bit,, if its my bow,, I just shoot them as is most the time,, but for someone else,, I put a handle finish etc,, I think I am working on about 10 bows now,,as time permits I hope to get them shooting,,, :)

Offline dirthas

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 10:16:10 pm »
I finish them, even if they sit there for a few extra years in limbo first.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 10:50:48 pm »
  I used to only finish a small fraction of bows. If I give them away I finish them. The last couple of years I have gotten better about finishing them. Now I might finish about 1/2 of them.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 12:03:35 am »
If I make a bow and it shoots and doesn't break, I put a finish on it.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 07:58:18 am »
I always have several going at one time not finished, but once I get it shooting and it is a good reliable bow it's gets finished, if I don't think it's a worthy good shooting reliable bow then I don't give it away or finish it, it gets cut up and I cook brats with it. ;) man need fire also. I have no need for a wall hanger and I sure don't want to give away a bow I don't want to shoot or there might be a problem with. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 08:14:35 am »
About 19 out of 20--eventually. I've noticed that after a bow is stashed in the rafters for a year or two I can sometimes see an obvious area that needs a little tweaking.
There has also been a couple pieces of bow-shaped firewood that should never have been brought into the shop.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 08:40:10 am »
   In the back of my mind I always feel I might be able to tweak a bow out just a little bit more and I might be a little undecided about how I want to go about doing it. I also very much enjoy the process of building and tillering but not so much finishing. The only thing mine are usually lacking is a handle wrap and some fine finishing around the nocks and arrow rest area, I usually do seal them up with some tru oil.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 09:41:19 am »
Now that you mention it all but one of my bows is finished. If my daughter need another I'll finish it up for her.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:21 am »
I'll finish it tomorrow...like the sign at the bar that says, "Free Beer Tomorrow"!
45# at 27"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 10:42:52 am »
If it suits my needs and performs like I want I finish it.From the beginning of making bows to now the designs have changed and gotten better I think.Still a lot out there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed