Author Topic: Sick from Black Locust?  (Read 3643 times)

Offline alcot

Sick from Black Locust?
« on: January 07, 2016, 12:49:16 pm »
Has anyone ever had a severe reaction from working with Black Locust? I've noticed a slight irritation from sawdust in the past,  but after steaming a stave yesterday I started coughing violently and my lungs feel like they're on fire. Probably a cold--never had this before.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Sick from Black Locust?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:35:31 pm »
Not with BL but with walnut and to some extent with osage, these types of allergies tend to be progressive and get worse over time. I wear a dust mask and use a dedicated vac system in my shop and still have problems.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:15:30 pm »
According to TBB vol. 4, leaves and bark of black locust can cause nausea.  I haven't noticed that, but don't work with BL a ton.  Maybe steaming released some toxins?

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:22:37 pm »
Al, I get some minor irritation from black locust saw dust too.  I have never steamed it but I would guess your steaming released some toxins.  Probably need to do that outside.  I steamed black walnut in my shop once and my eyes started burning so bad I couldn't  :laugh:stay in there.  I felt like I was sprayed with mace.  If you would like I could come up and take that pesky black locust off your hands so you don't have to worry about it.  :laugh:

Offline Red-Beard_the_Gael

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:56:30 pm »
Black locust is slightly toxic (but is worse/fatal for horses) not like yew though. So streaming probably just made all that airborne for you. The toxins in the wood are what makes black locust resistant to rot.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 02:13:21 pm »
  My wood allergies have gotten progressievly worse over the years. Osage only bothers me when I sand it or bandsaw it. BL gets to me when I remove the bark. Some hickory almost killed me a few months ago, I left it in the microwave too long and it caught fire filled the entire house with smoke, I guess that doesn't count though.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 02:57:06 pm »
According to TBB vol. 4, leaves and bark of black locust can cause nausea.  I haven't noticed that, but don't work with BL a ton.  Maybe steaming released some toxins?
  MY dog will eat BL bark over treats. I have not seen him to get sick from it. But then again he also eats cat turds.  :-\
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 03:36:46 pm »
Some hickory almost killed me a few months ago, I left it in the microwave too long and it caught fire filled the entire house with smoke, I guess that doesn't count though.

Wat almost killed you the fire/smoke or the wife?  >:D