Author Topic: Dress for the woman/screwgun  (Read 3663 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Dress for the woman/screwgun
« on: December 26, 2015, 08:10:35 am »
Just finished this up for Robin.She loves it.It's a 3 piece Siouw or Cheyenne brain tan dress.My wish came through too I've got a new dewalt screw gun now.I hope everyone got what they wished for.Happy Holidays.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Dress for the woman/screwgun
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:35:56 am »
There's some serious dress-making skills on display there. Congrats!
Am I seeing some kinda piping around neck and arm openings?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:44:48 am »
Bead, excellent work ,your own design? I. like the two tone effect. Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:34:24 am »
Thanks fellas.I should of taken a closer detailed pic of the dress.Around the neck line is just a reenforcing strip of leather.That was sewn with artificial sinew.I have sewn with real sinew too and really it does hide the seam better because of the shrinking but artificial is faster.The two pieces [front and back] are connected to the yoke top piece by leather lace.The different tones are different degrees of smoking.
They are'nt that hard to design.Just looking at pictures in the Mystic Warriors of the Plains book.Basically if you make a shirt or anything cutting a hole in in the top of a garbage bag and two holes for the arms about does it.Pants made from cutting up worn out blue jeans.Leggins are that way too.
Used to rendezvous back in the 80's so I'm familiar with this.You see lots of things that other people make then too.
Now the paticular part can start.If desired.The decorations.Teeth,beadwork,etc.
Maybe should of put this in Primitive Skills.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:01:01 am »
My only experience with brain tans did not look like that.. Very cool!! Did you use a tumbler to get it pliable enough for clothing?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 04:08:37 pm »
Very nice Ed. Cool!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 05:31:51 pm »
Very thoughtful and nice gift you made for your lady Beadman, much nicer than anything found in a department store.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 09:34:01 pm »
I rope mine dry Lumberman.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:44:23 pm »
Thanks fellas.A lot of thought goes into it before cutting.You remember the whole process.About 8 hours per hide to get to this stage.
BowEd
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 03:44:23 am »
NICE work ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 04:36:33 am »
Cool gift  :)
I can see Mrs Cat in one like that working in the garden on a spring day (drifts off into reverie... >:D)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 09:03:26 am »
Thanks...This rendezvous stuff I mentioned was something for people liking the 1820 to 1840 fur trade era period.Buckskinning!!!!!Smaller ones with friends are really nice but the bigger ones of 300 or more camps are really cool.Meet all kinds of different people.Different types of shelters and see the things that they make.Learn a lot of things.The barter system is used there too for exchanging items.I remember exchanging a coyote hide I had tanned for an extra teepee pole once.We were all called traders.Met John Mcpherson at the New Ulm rendezvous in Minnesota.He was boiling meat in a deer skin pot on a tripod with hot rocks.Quite a fella.Very diverse in skills.Very good bow maker himself.
I got into it because I liked fur,being a coon hunter.Living by South Dakota led me to adopt the Siouw or Cheyenne influences.Geometric beadwork and quillwork too.Really cool at these big camps where there is the smell of smoke every where.Lots of activities like the hawk and knife throw,muzzle loader shooting,and nowadays bow shooting too.A family type event.They did'nt have the bow part when I was into it,but I quess they do now.
Just mentioning this in case someone has'nt been to these things and just remembering how it was.A person can be gone every weekend going to rendezvous if they want.It becomes a life style.
BowEd
Ed

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 10:37:02 pm »
Cool gift  :)
I can see Mrs Cat in one like that working in the garden on a spring day (drifts off into reverie... >:D)
Del

I can see her also.  Looks like she is covering up a body........ ::)  Nice job Beadman.

Wayne