Author Topic: Another good Haul  (Read 4462 times)

wvfknapper

Another good Haul
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:37:33 pm »
Well I been waiting on a day off work with good weather to cut some wood, and got one today... I acquired permission from a local coal company to cut some Osage on an old farm site close by and took advantage of it,,, I had also seen a white ash tree on my mail route that had fell last week in all the high wind and got permission from the land owner to remove it also,  so i paid a friends son to help me for the day and we went and cut wood  ;D We cut the ash first, it was over a rock cliff and I had to cut the logs to length and let them roll to the creek and then get them out of the creek on a flat place and quarter and half them to get them loaded.

Then we cut the Osage, two tree's for now. Man what a difference in splitting,, good thing I had 5 wedges with me,, even had to rift cut some with the chainsaw, plus I heard that Osage never hit's the ground and neither of these did , very gnarly tops...........My wife's grandmother also had a pear tree she wanted someone to cut out a couple weeks ago and I said that I would gladly cut it out and clean it up just for the wood (Points with the inlaws) so after we got all the staves hauled (two trips in my short bed s10 and it was loaded both times)  we went and cut the pear also, it's the whole log in the pic,, I think I can get a couple staves from it..........Most of the Osage is pretty bad with dips , knots and twists but I will season it and see what happens.

All in all it was a good day  ;D

wvflintknapper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: Another good Haul
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:00:51 pm »
Looks like ya had a good day to me. ;D Must be nice not to have 3 feet of snow on the ground :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:04:27 pm »
Looks like ya had a good day to me. ;D Must be nice not to have 3 feet of snow on the ground :(

Ought to be thankful for the Moisture....We would take it all down here!!! I would take the Trees too!!! Want to trade for some Gnarlly Arsed Mesquite!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:05:58 pm »
Actually yankee I just might ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 08:07:31 pm »
You let me get a Day off....and I will look for a Mesquite that would work....I have made Pistol Grips from it amd Knife Handles....it is beautiful Wood...but a Biotch to work....some tuff stuff!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:09:25 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Manistique, MI

wvfknapper

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:18:08 pm »
Dana

Yeah glad you got the snow and not us  ;)  I figured it would rain all day here since I had a day off but it's been kinda cool and sprinkled and sleeted a little but good working weather, we haven't had much snow down this way.............Most of the staves will need split one or two more times so over the next couple weeks i'll be splitting, coating ends with glue, and removing bark and sapwood, lot's more work before they are ready to store.

wvflintknapper

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:20:59 pm »
Geez sounds rough ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:06:52 pm »
Wow that will keep you busy. I wish osage grew up here I like working with it.
WV. I lived in WV. as a kid in a town called Nitro. Lots of hills.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 09:14:52 pm »
Great haul wv, go ahead and seal the ends now...they are already checking :D....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:45:03 pm »
Thats a nice bunch of wood, hey Dana, we just got another foot of snow sunday, I think we can get to spring already. LOL
VB

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 10:54:58 pm »
Nice haul WV! What an ash tree - looks like some nice wood there. I almost like lookin at nice hauls as much as finished bows for some reason :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

wvfknapper

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 11:22:01 pm »
WIbowyer

I live about 20 miles east of nitro, little town called belle,, where ya at now ? Osage dont grow much around here either , it was brought in by the settlers in the 30-40"s

wvflintknapper

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 01:51:58 am »
looks like a productive day not working ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:35:44 am »
Nice haul,that should keep you busy for a while. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good