Author Topic: Steam bending Osage ?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Steam bending Osage ?
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:55:33 pm »
Hi guys  I know I have been bombing the board with newbie questions latly but winter time is the only time I have to work on my own projects ,I appreciate all the help , I'm still chasing this stave to one ring hopefully be there this week end & there's  a mild sweeping  side bend enough where it needs to straiting ,  and I have read to only steam bend non seasoned osage, so this stave is only three weeks of the stump, so my question is at what point of seasoning is seasoned to much to use steam ? I would like to hold off at least another 3 months so I can finish up 2 other bows I have going.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Steam bending Osage ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 06:31:03 pm »
You can use steam any time to bend osage. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:27:15 am »
Ok thanks I was just curious which way to go , I know in Dean Torges book he spoke to not steaming seasoned wood ,yet others seem to say its fine , it seems to be one of those things in bow building where it an go ether way.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:39:15 am »
I don't like to steam Osage over 2 years old, at least not the whole stave. Just bending tips or re curving is fine. If you seal it good I guess you could do it anytime but after 2 years I use dry heat. If you steam seasoned/dry wood it will tend to check the same if you use dry heat on green/wet wood. IMO and we all know how that is. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 07:33:08 am »
I'm with Clint,  I use steam on nearly all my bends, no matter their age.   I just always be sure I give them 2 good coats of shellac before I steam to prevent checks and staining.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 09:02:36 am »
Unless I have a major spot bend. Like statics or deflexed handles, I always use dry heat on dry wood. I'd suggest letting it dry as is. It is much easier to shape an entire stave at once on a caul with dry heat. Generally speaking steam covers an area about 10-12" round. That's no way to straighten and reflex an entire stave. Not to mention it will move as it dries and you will have to manipulate it again down the road. My vote is to let them sit in the corner and dry.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 10:06:24 am »
as suggested, coating with shellac will help prevent checking on dry wood,,,I have used glue before as well,,I have checked wood as well :) :)