Author Topic: 58" Yew primitive  (Read 2465 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
58" Yew primitive
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:47:00 am »
Hi guys
I'm pretty happy with how this short Yew bow has turned out. It's pulling 36#@26. Any feedback back on the tiller would be greatly appreciated. It's got a slightly bendy handle (quite a bit of handshock) I reduced the sapwood but it's pretty clean and I heat treated the belly. It had loads of reflex which I lost but it its shooting good with light arrows so I'm okay with it.
It's going to be a gift for an old friend I've not seen for years!  :) (Sorry for the rubbish pictures!)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 58" Yew primitive
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:33:05 am »
Looks pretty good...but both inner limbs could bend a bit more and the outer upper limb is stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:34:58 am »
Even though the outer limbs are stiff, most likely what is giving you hand shock, the tiller looks good.  You could soften the outer limbs but you'll lose a bit of draw weight in the process, be better off to reduce mass but keep them stiff
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sieddy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:47:22 am »
Thanks guys I Really appreciate your feedback!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 11:03:40 am »
Mr. Sieddy,
      If ya take a good look at your full draw picture.....both the bow and the shadow you can see just how much "extra" bow you have. By English standards your bow is indeed short, but by bendy standards you are quite long for the draw.
      Think about having a half circle (making the entire bow bend) you could shorten the tips quite a bit and still hit that 26" draw length. This is NOT a criticism just a different way of looking at the bend. For example, if you started scraping the fade areas a little at a time (working your way toward the middle of the bow) it will become evident very quickly that you can shorten it.....that will loose the handshock, increase weight a little, and improve the cast as well.
      On the first few that you tiller it will help to brace the bow and scrape while braced, then draw a few times and repeat....you can "walk" the bend right into the bow's center or how ever close you wish.

Like I said, your tiller is pretty darned good, but is not a "bendy"  profile is all. Once you have it bending full-circle and back to the draw you wish you can slightly flip the ears a bit and gain a little more performance. You will be greatly impressed how fast these little bows shoot and I believe that is attributable to the fact that they have very light mass weight  as compared to more traditional rigid handle profiles.

Sorry for rambling sir.
rich

Offline sieddy

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 03:20:41 pm »
Hi Rich
Thanks so much for your input sir- I Really appreciate it! I had thought about making it a bit shorter in the hopes of gaining some weight and cast but I was worried I'd just end up inducing more set in it. Now with your encouragement I'll give it a shot (I've got nowt to lose as it's not really were I want it to be anyway!). I'll get busy with it and keep you all posted. Cheers Si  :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:37:09 pm »
Wot they said  :laugh:
Upper limb has most of its bend in the middle 1/3
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:48:00 pm »
Merci Monsieur Le Chat!  8)