Author Topic: Nocking point woes  (Read 3036 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Nocking point woes
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:32:27 pm »
I figure a lot of people on here don't use nocking points, but for those of you who do, can you recommend a good set of pliers? I am using the allen nocking pliers with saunders nocking points, and the nocking points always get all dented by the edge of the pliers. I don't know if I am doing it wrong, or what.

Edit: In retrospect, this was probably better for around the campfire, haven't posted in a while sorry.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:36:04 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Nocking point woes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 06:46:00 pm »
I use tape until I am sure of the spot.
Then I tie on some thread. There are many ways to do it.

The easiest is to keep tying overhand knots all the way around.
It will turn a little for adjustment.

Eventually, you can set in glue.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 06:55:42 pm »
I use tape until I am sure of the spot.
Then I tie on some thread. There are many ways to do it.

The easiest is to keep tying overhand knots all the way around.
It will turn a little for adjustment.

Eventually, you can set in glue.

+1

I was not happy with metal nock points. Switched to tied-on. Yesssss!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 06:57:33 pm »
yes I always tie mine on

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 07:02:33 pm »
Here's how I do mine, a little silk thread single tied then the tiniest dot of superglue on the tie, fold up the bottom end and wrap the other end around it, let it dry a bit then another little dab of glue and smooth it round with a bit of paper(or finger), trim off ends with a blade, easy enough to remove if you need to alter, slice off the top with a little care and picks off easy enough. Nice, subtle and light on the string.

Ruddy Darter
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:34:57 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 07:23:58 pm »
Yep I don't like those metal string nocks either.I use dental floss tied over and over till I get a small bead then size it with superglue.Lasts a long long time.Mark it where it needs to go with a magic marker after serving.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 08:30:58 pm »
I now use ff thread and a bit of super glue,got this from wizard goat from the trade bow I received.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 10:08:30 pm »
I've changed from metal, to tie on,  to an 1/8" wide piece of cut from the end of a roll of duct tape. Wrap the duct tape around and it will build up into a perfect nocking point that will never shift on you. Also soft on the fingers. No superglue soaked threads ends to poke your finger.  Just peel the old one off and cut another strip if you want to move it.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 07:15:03 am »
I use dental floss. Tie, wrap 1st layer, then go back over again while doing the 'finish loop' just like a serving finish.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 09:56:17 am »
I was looking for different ways to tie on knock points and found this cool video, I'd link it but I'm not on my home PC right now. What this guy did was take some serving thread slightly larger than the thread used to serve the string, laid a pencil or pen parallel to the string laid one tag end against the string then wrapped the thread around the string and pencil (the opposite way the serving was wrapped I think) about 8-9 wraps or so, then pull out the pencil and tuck the other tag end through. Pull tight making sure the wraps don't cross up, pull tight with pliers on both tag ends and it makes a super neat and tight knock point that will literally screw up and down the  string serving like a nut on a bolt, then once tuned you can lock it with a drop or two of super glue where the knock point meets the string, it will stay but can also be easily broken loose and readjusted.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 12:23:00 pm »
Well I guess the obvious solution here is to switch to tied on nocking points, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline le0n

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 02:47:43 pm »
Make sure you have the right size metal nock.

When I do them, I put the opening of the nock on one of the curved jaws. This forces the nock gap to remain circular.