Author Topic: amur honeysuckle?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline loon

amur honeysuckle?
« on: November 20, 2015, 04:57:34 pm »
I live in SoCal so I don't know if there's any of this stuff around. there was probably a previous thread about it

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/33265

This guy says he made a 45" long self bow that he could pull to 28" out of this? Would that ever be remotely possible? Any similar experiences?

I wonder how nice it could be for a Sami or Siberian type static recurve, perhaps sinew backed. except it seems difficult to get a long, straight piece...

thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:10:00 pm by loon »

Offline PatM

Re: amur honeysuckle?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:32:03 pm »
You can believe those guys.

Offline dylanholderman

Re: amur honeysuckle?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:34:31 am »
I've used it before and I like it as a bow wood, the biggest issues are the high crown & checking.
I have had better luck with checking if I cut it in winter( left a few in the round with no problem, still seal the ends though) if cut during the spring or summer choose the side that will be your back and then take the belly side down to the pith, any Checking after that should be minor and nothing a dab of CA glue can't handle :)
As far as a 45" selfbow drawing 28" ??? I can only imagine it was a deflexed stave from the get go. This stuff rarely grows straight most of the time it grows in arcs going up from the base and coming back down with the deflex side facing the sky and the reflex side facing the ground.