Author Topic: must start to sell my bows  (Read 2595 times)

Offline mrfixit

must start to sell my bows
« on: November 08, 2015, 09:12:08 am »
I must start to sell my bows.  my wife said I am getting too many around , and I should try to sell some of them.  But what should I ask for them?  They are mostly red oak board bows, they all came out to be good shooters or else fire wood.  I got 7 of them now, any where from 30 to 50#, and 67" to 72" long.  I get carried away when I start to build things, as you might be also.  I got a cellar full of R.C. sail boats, R.C. model gliders(some with wing spans of 3 meters), a gang of wood flyrods with reels to match, and control line planes.  I also like to build whirley gigs ,and wind chimes, but I have no trouble selling them.

Mike

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: must start to sell my bows
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:17:16 am »
Sell some of your other collections and give the bows to neighborhood kids.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline scp

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:44 am »
To sell homemade wood bows, for that matter even to give them away, you need to prepare a comprehensive instruction manual with a lot of warnings and a decent liability waiver to be signed before taking possession. I think people here as a community can collaborate to come up with them for all to use. We can probably start by collecting samples used by commercial manufacturers.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:30 pm »
   Simple, " This bow is for decorative purposes only, pulling on the string and bending the bow can cause catastaphic failure resulting in serious injury or death!"  Just stamp that on every bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 03:35:15 pm »
My wife told me that too. I said no and so did my lawyer. LOL.

Things to consider:

(1) You'll need liability insurance.
There was a big discussion on that. I can't remember if it was on this forum.
Don't take legal advice from non lawyers. Ask a pro.
I had insurance when I was doing professional magic shows.

(2) Then there's the Pittman-Robinson tax which is 11%.

(3) Turning a hobby into a job destroys the hobby.
I used to love magic until it became a job.

I give bows away now.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 05:01:19 pm »
My wife knows better then they tell me to get rid of my bows. She just says I'd rather you in the workshop than sitting at the tavern. For every one she makes you get rid of get rid of something of hers.  Eye for an eye   >:D

Offline mrfixit

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 05:05:25 pm »
Ok , I give up.  I'll use them for a spell and when I want to  make a new one I'll cut the old one up and throw it in the wood burner. I absolutely will  not give to any kids , to  have them go and shoot there  friends by accident or their neighbors dog or cats.  thank you very much.

Mike

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 05:35:49 pm »
I always gave bows to friends I thought would not sue me( I gave one to Jawge bout 10 years ago with no problems :) :)),, and gifted some to youths that wanted to hunt,, I think things are different now,, but if I wanted to give a bow to a friend,, I would do so,, I think now days, selling them puts things into a whole different game... but it can be done ,,, so if that is what you want to do,, just do a little research and go for it,,,set your self up right and do it,, these guys here are just giving advise from personal experience,, and dont mean to discourage you,, just pointing out some of the realities that some deal with today,, :)

Offline scp

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 09:26:29 pm »
You can also possibly find dealers who can handle all the hassles involved. In that case, if you are neither famous nor incredibly good, they might not be willing to pay you as much as you want or expect. It would be simpler to sell your bows as unfinished bow blanks without a string at a bargain price, that is, under $100.

Does anyone here know of any such dealers?

Offline tlewis

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 09:33:31 pm »
Jawge can I have a bow  ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 09:34:15 pm »
You can also possibly find dealers who can handle all the hassles involved. In that case, if you are neither famous nor incredibly good, they might not be willing to pay you as much as you want or expect. It would be simpler to sell your bows as unfinished bow blanks without a string at a bargain price, that is, under $100.

Does anyone here know of any such dealers?

All kinds of them out there.