Author Topic: yew shorty sister tiller advice needed  (Read 1807 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
yew shorty sister tiller advice needed
« on: October 30, 2015, 07:31:51 pm »
Evening All,

OK so I actually have two shortbows on the go - this one is the 'big' one currently just shy of 40# at 24" but split from the same half-stave as the sister-bow I've been asking for tiller advice on this week here http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,54578.0.html   .  Any comments gratefully accepted

sorry but picture is upside down, don't know how to correct it

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: yew shorty sister tiller advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 10:00:56 pm »
If the resting profile is straight, then it definitely looks better than the last did initially. But I would get both mid limbs working more and would leave the handle area alone.

Kyle

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:35:28 pm »
For sure leave the handle area alone and get your limbs bending more.
For bendy handle bows it's much better to get your limbs bending nice and even before you bring your handle into the mix.
Trust in your thickness taper, should be no thick or thin spots and you feel your way down the limb.
How long is this one?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 05:10:23 am »
Bow is 53" ntn, there is 2 1/4" of set; the bow was much stronger (over 55#) but I couldn't draw it, target weight after heat treating will be 35 to 40#, preferably 35

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 04:05:47 pm »
Red shows a potential hinge - not quite a hinge yet but once it's shot in it will be if not corrected.  Blue shows stiff area.  By taking that area down and getting that limb working far more, the hinge will be solved somewhat and the tiller will be better balanced.

Personally I think if you're already planning on heat treating, focus it mainly on the red area, or the whole middle section.  You certainly don't want any heat treatment on the blue area, otherwise it'll get twice as bad.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 04:18:06 pm »
I agree get the limbs bending more,, seems to be bending a bit much middle of bow,,

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 06:43:15 am »
Thanks for the advice, hopefully I've done as suggested.How is the tiller looking?

No heat yet as I am hoping to heat treat the whole of the centre, rather than to tighten up just one small area, so I guess I need to get the tiller as good as I can before applying heat?  Do I need to heat-treat areas around knots differently to clear timber - there are some very large knots in this little bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 07:00:44 am »
Woo, that's a heap better  :)
Just held a CD up in front of it... damn near perfect arc of a circle (high fives the monitor ::))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 07:46:32 am »
Thanks Del, thats put a smile back on my face!  Had to grit my teeth and get out the Shinto rasp as was pussy-footing around with a scraper and getting nowhere but frustrated; weight is pretty much spot on too.  Deeply sorry for your recent loss :(

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:27 am »
That does look good. Id be happy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »
You got it now, major improvement :) :) What is the weight now?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 01:39:47 pm »
Weight is a little below what I had hoped for, 28# at 24", but I am currently only shooting at 30# so a little heat treat and it should be slightly stronger than my current go-to bow, although its probably 35 at a 26" draw, I would think that draw length a little bit too long for a 63" bow?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »
Looks nice, leave it!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 02:54:11 pm »
I don't mind not fiddling with it, - its the nicest of the bows I have made so far (all 5 of them ;)) and would hate to ruin it. Meant to say she is 53", not 63   - oops - so 26" draw would be 2:1