Author Topic: keeping lams aligned during glue up?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Aaron H

keeping lams aligned during glue up?
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:27:02 pm »
If I remember correctly, I believe PD explained how to "pin" laminates together to keep them aligned during glue up, but I cannot seem to find it.  Can someone please explain this to me again?

Where you at Pearly?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: keeping lams aligned during glue up?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:36:11 pm »
A-a-ron I drill two tiny holes side by side at center. Right through all the layers and just barely into the core. Get all the pieces slathered with glue and stack them up. Then just line up the holes and push some toothpicks in the holes. The stack wont budge. Break the toothpicks off and you can hardly tell they were ever there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 10:54:20 am »
Sorry if I'm a little slow to catch on, but do you mean drill through your backing material?  Do you also pin your tips as well, or just through the handle area?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 11:03:59 am »
Here it is. Pearlie told me about this a few years ago while I was building the hickory backed lemonwood bow for the Tenn. Classic. It works like a charm. I think I used bamboo skewers for the alignment pins.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 09:15:14 am »
That's it Pat. I use tooth picks, but the skewers would work good to. Nothing on the tips Aaron. Those lams need to slide outward as you pull reflex into them. If you pin the ends, it buckles in the center. You dig?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:21:48 am »
Yup....ole Roy used to do the same pegging em down with toothpicks...not sure if he still does. Ive never done it...i use bike inner tubes and wrap from fade to tip,then repeat other limb...seems it doesnt slide around to much for me that way.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:51:44 am »
I wrap the whole bow in saran wrap tightly. If you are using wood glue you will need to take a razor blade down both sides once it is clamped to allow air circulation.(this varies with your jig) epoxy with time and warmth you don't need to bother with cutting the edge.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 12:41:38 pm »
Ok, now I'm picking up what you guys are putting down.   Thanks fellas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 12:45:27 pm »
Its so simple yet so effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC