Author Topic: Vinager staining questions - white wood  (Read 989 times)

Offline freke

Vinager staining questions - white wood
« on: October 31, 2015, 04:25:59 pm »
Hi guys, 
Was thinking vineger is an acid, do I have to rinse the wood in water or alchole after its dried or just let it be on before adding finish, or continue with glue on raw hide ?

I have tried some different vinegar and Iron mixes on Ash, mix diffrent kind of vianger and diffrent iron wool.
I get some diffrent dark grey to black colours, some nice, some not but all has blueish tint I find unnatural (although with shellac "lemon" it is better) -  is there any similar mixes with vinegar giving colours with red, orange or nice brown tint ?

Any one other similar techniques makes the darker grains darker, add contrasts ?

Cheers, Jonas

Offline aaron

Re: Vinager staining questions - white wood
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 06:48:52 pm »
I have never tried to glue a backing after a vinegar finish, but it wouldnt hurt to rinse it a while. The colors are hard to predict.. I have got some dark rusty colors, but not sure how. My darkest ones came from using alternating coats of tea and vinegar with steel wool. After doing the stain, you will get some raised grain- a very fine steel wool or sandpaper after the final coat will add contrast by removing the high spots on the raised grain.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"