Author Topic: Stout Osage  (Read 2891 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Stout Osage
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 09:05:25 am »
That lower limb will give way, I'm sorry to tell you that. Will it break? Probably not, but it will change the tiller every 50-60 shots until its a hinge. LOVE the grip leather, love it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 09:09:41 am »
It hurts but if it's true then it needs to be said

I understand...it aint easy taking criticism on something you spent hours on with your own two hands..BUT you have the right attitude...and that kind of attitude will get you far and help you here with the more experienced folks in the future helping you out when your in need of it (unlike a few others weve had online here recently) ;)

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 11:50:13 am »
What else can I do but shoot it until it fails?  I've got another in the works and will be more careful.  With living in an apartment now, and winter coming, I may not be doing much archery till spring when I move and will more likely have a workshop.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 11:55:42 am »
Well. Since its VERY heavy now you can easily catch the rest of the limb up the weak tip on the lower. Then catch the upper limb up to it. My guess is you will still have a 50-52# bow. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 12:02:07 pm »
+1 for pearly....you should have enough weight yet to still have a hunting weight bow once fixed...you also have more room to shorten it down some if ya needed to. Which is actually not a bad idea as it would get rid of that hinge and give you more weight to play with...

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 02:21:59 pm »
Good advice from the good and the bad Chris above.
If I were you, I would consider schortening again. Also consider using the stick upside down.
Cut at the lower limb only, change the handle position and tiller again.
And save the grip leather ;), that's an extraordinary work of art.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 02:43:43 pm »
Great advice above. If I could add anything, it would be to start another bow and leave this one be for a bit. I am always surprised how clear the solution can be after time away from a bow.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso