Author Topic: Went to Sequoia and there were bears everywhere!  (Read 3946 times)

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Went to Sequoia and there were bears everywhere!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 07:12:52 am »
I think there could be several problems with bears being scared of humans. We sometimes unknowingly walk up on these guys, and then they can feel threatened, this is magnified by fear of humans, this could then lead to more negative bear/human interactions. I suggest more of a healthy respect on both sides, when I was up in Yellowstone, I saw people getting within 15 yards of bison and elk (one guy walked about 5 feet from a massive bull elk to take pictures) and within 40 yards of grizzly bears just for a picture, I remember thinking, "how stupid are these people?" They got so close to some potentially very dangerous animals and if one had charged, I think the human would have been at fault.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 09:40:01 am »
All this and not one joke about bears and pic-a-nic baskets? lol

Offline Traxx

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »
I think there could be several problems with bears being scared of humans. We sometimes unknowingly walk up on these guys, and then they can feel threatened, this is magnified by fear of humans, this could then lead to more negative bear/human interactions.

Quite the contrary actually.Nearly all of the time,a bear is going to know of your presence,long before you know of theirs.I have lived in "Wild" bear territory ,where plenty of sign was there,but seldom did you see them in an up close situation.Close casual encounters such as in Tims video,would be unheard of,unless you caught the wind right and put a stalk on a wild bear.In most of those cases,the wind is gonna shift at some point and thats the last youll see of a wild bear.Just ask a bear hunter who hunts without dogs or over bait.Thats why these hunting tactics are used.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 04:53:43 pm »
A lot of Bears around here and it's not too often you come across one while walking in the bush.  It does happen sometimes but it's likely because of circumstances.  I think that over the last 40+ years I can count the number of times I have come across a Bear while out walking/hunting on 1 hand, certainly less than 2
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 09:02:57 pm »
I think there could be several problems with bears being scared of humans. We sometimes unknowingly walk up on these guys, and then they can feel threatened, this is magnified by fear of humans, this could then lead to more negative bear/human interactions.

Quite the contrary actually.Nearly all of the time,a bear is going to know of your presence,long before you know of theirs.I have lived in "Wild" bear territory ,where plenty of sign was there,but seldom did you see them in an up close situation.Close casual encounters such as in Tims video,would be unheard of,unless you caught the wind right and put a stalk on a wild bear.In most of those cases,the wind is gonna shift at some point and thats the last youll see of a wild bear.Just ask a bear hunter who hunts without dogs or over bait.Thats why these hunting tactics are used.

Yes, I realize  this, bears hear, smell and see us coming long before we know they are there, but in some situations, bears have no where to go, or they feel cornered or threatened in their territory. Remembering that humans bring pain is surely going to increase the likelihood of aggression in such cases, that is why I suggest  a healthy respect rather than petrified fear.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Loope

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 10:29:31 pm »
I agree it is  certainly a problem if bears get habituated towards easy access human food, but you have to admit, it is also a problem that humans get habituated towards the apparent docile animals.  I have seen guys following animals with cameras just way too close for comfort.  When a big buck deer or a bear finally tires of the game and lashes out to say "leave me alone", we blame the animal.

In addition to shooting a rubber bullet at a trash-can bear, maybe the rangers should also shoot rubber bullets at people who offer snacks to the critters to get them close enough for that great photo.  I'll bet that would change things somewhat :)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 12:53:52 am »

In addition to shooting a rubber bullet at a trash-can bear, maybe the rangers should also shoot rubber bullets at people who offer snacks to the critters to get them close enough for that great photo.  I'll bet that would change things somewhat :)
  These aren't trashcan bears though.  All the receptacles are bear proof and the bears were exclusively feeding on acorns, no human trash around at all.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 12:47:05 pm »
Tim,
If a bear is feeding that close to humans,with the casual attitude shown in your video,then trust me,it is a trashcan bear.Maybe not there that day,but its the human interaction and consequent feeding on human food that creates that type of behavior in a bear.Not saying a non habituated bear,will not feed on human type food.If they smell it,they will investigate it.Ive had a bear come on my enclosed front porch to get my dry dog food but when i opened the door,all you saw was a black flash go up the mountain.In another instance,my nearest neighbor watched a big boar,break into a visitors vehicle,to get his packed lunch and sat down outside the vehicle to eat it as they watched from about 30 yards away.We later learned he was a relocated nuisance bear.