Author Topic: bendy handle elm bow.  (Read 5844 times)

riverrat

Re: bendy handle elm bow.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 07:49:35 pm »
i did make one of those eastern woodland type bows. from a scrap piece.along with 2 two feather fletch arrows with pen caps on them for blunts. my grandson sure likes it . ;)

riverrat

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 12:32:28 am »
o.k. dont have a scale but i have this snakey bow bending nice at 26 in. it feels about 40 45 lb.ish. it feels like its going to zing a arrow the way the weight builds up once i get to 26 in.didnt even use a tiller board. eye balled it used the kitchen floor as a graph of sorts. i wont say its a perfect tiller. its not. its decent though. i might heat treat {toast it} then retiller the upper limb just a little. i dont want to loose what i have. it feels good.it stacks nice.Tony

Offline Traxx

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 02:32:06 am »
 it feels good.it stacks nice

Thats not something you hear very often,but i understand what your sayin.LOL

riverrat

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 03:00:23 am »
at the end of the draw, its at the end of the draw.lol it just feels great.you can tell its not going any further without a major issue .i hope by toasting i was suppose to put it over heat on the belly till it changed to a tanish color.anyways it seems to have a little more weight now.not a lot but a little bit. my Golden retriever donated a tuft of hair for the top nock.lookin around for somethin to use for the handle area for a wrap.ill take some pictures shooting it tomorrow, well , later on today.man its late.Tony

riverrat

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 08:57:58 am »
pics .

riverrat

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 08:59:53 am »
more pics

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 09:24:20 am »
Looks like your having fun. .n thats all that matters  :D

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 10:56:26 am »
Ohh that's a pretty set.  I like it a lot.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 08:31:54 pm »
I love simple things like that, no arrow shelf or pass, hand knapped points and shoot shafts. You skipped the warm up and went straight into the race. Well done!!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

riverrat

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 05:28:07 am »
the bow string is made from store bought hemp. didnt have enough nettles to make the string. but, the handle wrap is sewed with nettles i processed myself and the same with tuft of hair at the top. its tied with nettle cordage. it was a lot of fun. i have a much much better stave im going to be working on in the future. planning on a eastern woodlands flat bow. thanks Tony

riverrat

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »
awhile back i made a similar profile locust bow. from a smaller diam. tree. so of course the back was rounded a little. so , i decided to tiller it to a similar effect on the belly.why? locust weights a little. so how do you reduce weight on a flat tillered self bow? you remove the edges. they do squat other than weigh down your limbs and rob you of cast. this is my thinking anyways.so just remove whats not needed.right? well i did. the person i gave the bow to was amazed at how it looked like a kids bow but drew exactly what i said it did. actually i wanted to tiller it for a little more draw as his draw was greater than the 24 in. i got done. however i didnt have time to do that so i sent it to him as it was and told him just lightly shave both limbs untill you get the other 2 inches.he decided not to do it. he didnt have a clue as to how i was able to do what i did. well long story short, he was suppose to get back to me in the next few years to let me know how it held up after use. he never did. so thats exactly how i tillered this bow. im gonna find out for myself.Tony

riverrat

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 09:37:31 pm »
tillering? been 15 years since i made a bow. i eyeballed this on that messy kitchens floor. what ya think? yea i know my pants are draggin. lol worked 12 hours. they have a reason to droop. lol Tony

riverrat

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 09:38:29 pm »
i have the arrow nocked a little high in the first pic.Tony