Author Topic: Coyotes howling  (Read 2063 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Coyotes howling
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:25:30 am »
I was catching up on PA just now and a pack of coyotes let loose behind the house.  That is such a cool sound but it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  I wonder if its an instinctive response dating back to our primitive ancestors.  I hate the damage they do to our fawn population but I sure do enjoy listening to a pack get wound up.  All the windows are open so it sounded like they were in the back yard.  They are probably on the next ridge over.  One had a deep howl.  Must be a mature male.  They seem to roam around our area.  I'll go months without hearing them or getting any pictures of them on my trail camera.  Here recently I've been hearing them and getting quite a few pictures.  If given the opportunity I will take a shot at one in deer season.   

I would love to listen to a pack of wolves one day.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Coyotes howling
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 12:33:39 am »
Right on ... wonderful primal sound of nature.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 01:19:56 am »
I love the sound of them.  Sort of like the evening choir tuning up at our place.  I shot one from the ground at about seven yards last year.  It started biting at the arrow and spinning around growling and damned near ran into me.  I had sat still so long that I couldn't get out of his way fast enough to suit me.  Scared the hell out of me for a second.  :D   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 04:36:18 am »
I live in a Rural area here in Mid-Michigan. I hear 'Yotes almost Daily. I'm with Ya Clint - I like hearing them, but don't like the Predation they do on Fawns and Turkey Polts. I shot one with a Selfbow also. Called Him in (squeeking on the back of My hand) and He stepped into the Lane I'd been stalking and turned 1/4ing away at 12 yards. Hit 'Em right in the Boiler Room with a Judo Point - He was dead before He hit the ground. I was amazed at the shock the Judo did at that range ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 07:20:33 am »
I like the sound of coyotes, like everything, they have a place in nature and they just sound so darn cool!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:41:47 am »
I love hearing them also, just wished I had to go somewhere besides my farm to listen to them. ;) :) :) Far far away :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 08:13:42 am »
Like you Clint, the hair stands up on the back of my neck when I hear them.  We have several in our area.  I'm really wanting to thin the pack.  Someday, I'll get serious and go after them.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PNewton

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:32:25 am »
I think it's a cool sound, and erie at the same time. Sometimes it sounds like they're are in our barnyard. Last year my wife seen 2 come out of the woods into the pasture and one of the horses and the mule when charging toward them. They went right back in the woods. I hope to hear wolves also. Was in the UP this summer, but didn't get to hear any wolves.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 09:22:59 am »
Almost every night here
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marks

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 10:26:14 am »
Coyotes are my favorite sound.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 10:59:19 am »
Love coyotes, almost everything about them to me is cool. But I won't hesitate to shoot one with any weapon and I love calling em. Went scouting deer early in the season and was watching a doe and 2 fawns, had a yote come barreling almost into me. Had to be only a few yards, 357 mag dropped him right there.

As for wolves, I hate em. Never want to hear em unless I'm hunting em. Got packs all over NE Washington now and all big game populations have dropped. Haven't seen a moose in years.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.