Author Topic: Attempted Grum-along FAILED!!!  (Read 7806 times)

Offline Wiley

Re: Attempted Grum-along
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:09 pm »
Was sort of wondering what that little scraper was, so it's a spoon eh?

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 09:45:45 pm »
I would never sharpen it. It goes back in the kitchen when I'm done with it   Someone could cut themselves while eating cereal. ;)
 Seriously, when it is dull it can be used aggressively without potentially taking any wood off as well. It plows the bark off and simultaneously bones the back which I consider a good thing. It is not a scraping of the cambium that I am going for but basically like using your fingernail to remove tape.
 Reduced the stave a bit more and trapped it to the back today. Ready to put the bends in over the next day or so.
 More pics coming even though I sense this isn't very riveting stuff.  :-\

Offline Wiley

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 10:07:11 pm »
I'll keep the spoon thing in mind, I need to debark a pretty large dogwood stave, would probably be a good tool for getting the soft inner bark and come of the cambium off. Tends to be a good number of pin knots that a spoon would be good about not cutting into.

blackhawk

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2015, 09:21:18 am »
Hey Pat...hows this one going? Will it be done this decade?   :P  ::) ....  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2015, 10:04:27 am »
Oh it was done last year, just not as a Grum. The steaming of the tips failed to retain that all in one thickness of the brush nocks that the best of the originals have. Didn't bother with the rebuilding up process of glued on bits. Already done that enough.
 So it's just your typical static Elm recurve that you can find anywhere on here.

blackhawk

Re: Attempted Grum-along FAILED!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 10:28:59 am »
Well cool...lets c it. Ya know sometimes our preconcieved idea of what we want to do to a stave doesnt go the way we thought,and ends up something a lil diff....but even a simple recurve is still sexy in my eyes(and others as well im sure) ..so lets c the goods  ;)  8)

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 01:41:52 pm »
Pat it seems like you make awesome bows. Would love to see you post a couple some time

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 08:47:22 pm »
Should have used Osage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 09:34:15 pm »
 lol