Author Topic: Tillering help  (Read 1626 times)

Offline SeanStuart

Tillering help
« on: September 19, 2015, 01:00:34 pm »
Hey, hope you are all enjoying your weekend! This is red oak about 2 1/4 inches wide, and a little less than half inch thick. light weight bow about 30-35# Backed with linen canvas. Can you all take a look and comment on the tiller. It is at about 24 inches. left limb is bending more than right. I think I need to scrape a bit from the arrow out to the tip on the right? What do you think? Thanks.

Offline bow101

Re: Tillering help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 01:11:27 pm »
Fade area not enough transition and bending to much in that area because of that.  In the future keep the fades thicker and work the outer third and mid limb then attack the fades if need be to get an even bend.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 01:12:37 pm »
Yes I agree, stiff where the arrow is, and slightly stiff mid limb (and on out from there)... but
If you made the left limb the upper it would maybe look about right!*
Also try drawing it up in front of a mirror etc... it sometimes looks different in the hand, unless you are V carefull to get it supported on the tree and pulled on the string exactly like you hold and draw it.
The fade is a bit abrupt, but it doesn't look too hingy thereto me... just don't take any more off right out of the fade. Next time try to blend it in more gently.
Easing off mid limb will take some stress off the fades anyway
Looks like it's coming along fine.
Del
* That's one reason to never cut a shelf or shape the grip too much, early on!
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 01:33:20 pm »
"Yes I agree, stiff where the arrow is, and slightly stiff mid limb"  ya'll never hit desired weight if to much wood is bending that area.  ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 01:46:47 pm »
The bow is 10mm thick the entire length. Most of the tillering I did by narrowing the width. Should I have made the area approaching the fades a bit thicker? Obviously so. Thanks for taking a look and for the comments.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 02:34:33 pm »
I'm seeing  it a little different.  It looks to me like the main problem is that it's bending a bit too much out of the left fade.  I would relieve that by scraping the outer two thirds of the left limb before I touched the right limb.  A hinge at the fade always makes that limb look like the weaker limb because it causes more tip travel.  I'd be willing to bet that if you hold something round up to the picture and compared the bends in each limb, you'll find that the outer 2/3 of the left limb is actually flatter than the right limb.  More often than not, if you just relieve that hinge, you'll find that everything balances out nicely.  Just my .02 .  Josh
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:44:57 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 06:47:35 pm »
I'm seeing  it a little different.  It looks to me like the main problem is that it's bending a bit too much out of the left fade.  I would relieve that by scraping the outer two thirds of the left limb before I touched the right limb.  A hinge at the fade always makes that limb look like the weaker limb because it causes more tip travel.  I'd be willing to bet that if you hold something round up to the picture and compared the bends in each limb, you'll find that the outer 2/3 of the left limb is actually flatter than the right limb.  More often than not, if you just relieve that hinge, you'll find that everything balances out nicely.  Just my .02 .  Josh

I would not have considered that Josh. That is great insight. I will try to keep that knowledge with me in the future. Thanks for that comment. .Before I read your post, ] I scraped it on both mid sections and out, it evened it out and I shot it a bit. Seems to work ok. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:55:13 pm by SeanStuart »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 01:14:14 pm »
I'm glad that it's coming around for ya!  Josh