Author Topic: tbb3 deflex reflex bow.  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Aries

tbb3 deflex reflex bow.
« on: September 27, 2015, 12:34:18 pm »
Hey guys I'm looking for tips on making a bow like the one pictured here. I am just getting started and decided to pump the breaks and get some advice before I went any further.

This brief section calls this bow quick and easy to make but I am left with questions on the process. The demensions described in the caption of this bow call for 62 inches and 2.75 inches of width and lbs just over a quarter inch thick. It says the retro grade tips occupy 25% of thr limb length. This seems kinda crazy to me idk what would they are using,  but I'm using osage.

Instead of gluing in a deflex as they have I'm this I am thinking about steaming in 3 inches of deflex into the center of the handle, and then building it up with another piece of wood after.  Also, I'm  not sure on how much thickness I will need on my inner limb bow to achieve my goal weight of 60 pounds , should I floor tiller it before adding on my siyahs?
I'll attach an image of the osage I'm working with.
It is currently 1.5 inches at the fades and 1.25 inch wide at the ends the siyahs will be attached.1 inch wide handle. I have this whole section of osage at about 5/8ths inch thick.

Any advice is appreciated.
Ty.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline PatM

Re: tbb3 deflex reflex bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 12:39:04 pm »
Don't complicate things. You don't need to deflex the handle. Just glue on your siyahs.

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 12:49:02 pm »
I have never made anything quite like this so  just spit balling here, But if I don't deflex the limb I don't think ill be able to add as much reflex with the siyahs and could lose some string contact and subsequently performance?  Or do you think it wouldn't be much difference?
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:11:46 pm »
  On that type of design I would no choose a character stave. They are hard enough with a clean stave.

Offline Aries

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 04:35:30 pm »
My ends on this short stave line up pretty well so I'm gonna go for it and see what happens, I'm sure their are lessons to learn here that will carry over into future attempts
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 06:08:28 pm »
I have never made anything quite like this so  just spit balling here, But if I don't deflex the limb I don't think ill be able to add as much reflex with the siyahs and could lose some string contact and subsequently performance?  Or do you think it wouldn't be much difference?

No, the optimum angle for a siyah is around 35 degrees.

Offline Aries

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »
Thats a good number to know. Is that 35 degrees to the bow limb or the handle? Cause I will still be able to get 35 degree angle at the joint, and with the length of my siyahs I'll end up with The tips about 3 inches  in front of the handle
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 06:48:35 pm »
Same thing really if both  are straight. You can find a nice example of a spliced tip Osage bow on here.
 You've already seen it.
 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,21987.msg298774.html#msg298774
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:02:18 pm by PatM »