Author Topic: The First Gizmo  (Read 3444 times)

Offline bow101

Re: The First Gizmo
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 11:05:16 pm »
Do those things really work that good? Would they work on an ELB style bow? Would you need a longer one for a longer bow?

Knots you should try this method I swear by it.  Your belly should be flat or relatively flat you can always add or subtract for lumps and bumps.  PS thats just a old photo at full draw, you make the measurements at brace height .. Lines A&B should be very close from left to right.  You can make 3-4 lines but I find it does not help.  I normally make the first line 8" from the tip and the second line 14-17 inches.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 11:25:03 pm »
  When I first started using the gizmo I was getting a noticeable thumb in my bows which I didn't like. I slightly changed the way I use it now. I first get the tiller adjusted with the gizmo while it is still about 7# heavy or so, I then switch the gizmo to the outer 1/2 of the limb which I like to bend slightly more and just work that area. Any final adjustments in weight I go into the fade for. I use about 12" to 14" of handle and fade area and about 8" of stiff tips so I don't have a whole lot of working limb I need to make adjustments on. It saves me a lot of time. Past couple of years I go from floor tiller to brace to gizmo and never even fool with a long string anymore. If I am working osage I use only a scraper for adjustments on other woods I may use a rasp.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:42 am »
Toomanyknots; They work great but are not "the end all be all" for various tillering configurations. My main objective in developing this tool was to allow a newbie to go from floor tillering then to long string tillering with the gizmo and have the bow hinge and stiff spot free for the final step up to the short string.

If you can have over poundage, perfectly bending limbs when you go to the short string you can adjust the tiller configuration to anything you want much like Badger stated in his post.

The gizmo works very well on ELB type bows. A longer gizmo isn't necessary as I have found from making a bunch of different lengths that 6" is the optimum length for overall tillering.