Author Topic: glass knapping/pressure flaking  (Read 3479 times)

riverrat

glass knapping/pressure flaking
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:06:06 pm »
Living where i live finding decent flint/chert is difficult. sometimes i find a glacial deposit chunk thats been washed away an embankment on the local river. and i do my best on the small hard chunks i find. but good flint isnt just laying around here. tell ya what is...beer bottles. lol i find bottle bottoms all the time. and huge chunks of slag glass where a glass plant burnt down years ago. makes for some fine points.was wondering if anyone else knapps glass? i use the basic tools, antler billets, tines, copper flakers, hammerstones, and sand stone abraders i find laying around as well. Tony

riverrat

Re: glass knapping/pressure flaking
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:14:24 pm »
standard tools ive used....

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:42:33 pm »
I remember my ole days of knapping glass. Sweet looking points.  I find a hi grade flint easier to knap than glass.  Glass is too fragile.   My opinion.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:11 pm »
Good to see you chipping, Tony. You have to use what you have, the natives did. Good looking points and glad to see you back.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:13:50 pm »
Nice looking points.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 11:05:04 pm »
Good knapping. Keep making jewels out of that trash. I started out on glass myself.

WA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:23:23 am »
Welcome back Tony. Good to see you around again.
 Nice knapping. I'm just getting started myself believe it or not.  I have used glass to pressure flake, mostly 1/4" plate glass from the glass company dumpster.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 11:28:09 am »
Very nice Tony.  Even though I haven't seen it in awhile I still have that Obsidian/Deer Jaw knife you sent me years ago somewhere around
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

riverrat

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 08:30:36 pm »
thats great Marc. thanks everyone. it is much more fragile than a lot of flint or chert out there. probly why its easier to work. i will tell ya though, if you can keep it thick enough it holds up pretty good. later , after i finish a bow and build some arrows. im going to put a arm load of them glass points through a torture test. i.e. buy a rib roast and shoot the thing several times in front of a hay bail to stop the arrows.thats my plan anyhow. Tony

Offline son of massey

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:17 pm »
I still work mostly with glass. MN requires metal heads, so knapped points are just a hobby in and of themselves as opposed to being 'useful'. In that situation buying flint and obsidian becomes harder to justify. Like Marc, I still have some of the stuff I got from you long ago. There is one arrow with a basalt point that has beautiful flaking you sent, I have never matched that level of workmanship. Hope to see you post more stuff to look at.

SOM

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:38:36 pm »
Yes sir i have no aversion to knapping glass you can get some beautiful colors i mostly use obsidion or glass its a lot easier on mt beat up wrists
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »
SOM, i remember that point. ya it was nice. ill have to dig through some older pictures of bows and arrows and points . i sent two walks a complete archery set once in trade for a bear hide. 2 of those arrows had the best points i ever made of flint and chert.heres some random flaking glass