Author Topic: Floor tillering  (Read 4577 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Floor tillering
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 06:43:27 am »
I floor tiller with my tips left square at say 5/8", or so. That way I don't worry about flexing and grinding them into a piece of carpet as I floor tiller. In order for me to use a tree as early you do/did, I'd have to somehow shape those tips down in a way I can get a string on them. I don't want to do that so early in my process. So, I floor tiller to about 10-15# heavy, add overlays and/or mostly shape the tips and add grooves, Then brace it low and tweak it from there.

Pearl when did you sneak over to my neighbors and look over the fence and watch me build a bow. That's how I do it. Finish the back of the bow and work my way to the bellys center. You been watching me.   >:(  Arvin

Never even been to the Lonestar state Arvin!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 07:57:29 am »
I rough to bow deminsions and then start flexing on the ground or over my knee. once feel that I have sufficiently floor tillered I put a long string on it and look in a mirror as I flex the limbs.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 08:37:14 am »
Pearl don't come in the summer! It's too hot here. I am working becoming a snow bird! Born here. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 09:13:43 am »
I also floor tiller getting the limbs to move a good 3 to 4 inches. Then I go to long string tillering. I long string tiller out to 10 in if string movement looking for avoid bend and a little over target weight. Then I string it at a low brace height. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 10:06:01 am »
Del, that is about what my floor tillering consists of. Basically check to see that everything is about even. I do feel the resistance of both limbs to be sure they are similar. I guess it is more the actions I go through instead official floor tillering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 02:30:20 pm »
dont use the band saw :)