Author Topic: CHERRY BARK  (Read 1218 times)

Offline rkeltner

CHERRY BARK
« on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:46 am »
I just cut down a cherry tree in my back yard measuring between 8 and 10 inches diameter, partly to get it out of the fenceline, but mostly for the bark! now that I have it down, I need info in harvesting the bark... I've never done this before. oh, yeah...it's about 8 feet long, so there might be a bow or two in there!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: CHERRY BARK
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:46:43 am »
What kind of cherry is it. Not all cherry bark makes good bow backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 12:53:30 am »
uncertain. this tree has never had fruit, to my knowledge. it is a smooth barked tree though.  have another in the side yard that;s going to come down that's black cherry, I think. little quarter inch cherrys that aren't half bad when ripe, but it's too close to the house!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:34:36 am »
Basically make a cut along the whole length. The grain for cherry bark grows around the tree, not up and down. Every 3 or 4" take a strip off. You should only need to get the cut started, then the bark should just peel away

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 03:34:41 am »
What WizardGoat said + You'll need to press the pieces flat while drying. Good luck - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 09:30:19 am »
I want to know where I can get some Tibetan cherry bark,  Gorgeous!  Anyone know of a source?