Author Topic: Hickory wood harvest.  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Arrowbuster

Hickory wood harvest.
« on: August 20, 2015, 09:42:46 pm »
  Hi all I am new here and I have a newbie question. I am wanting to build my first selfbow and thanks to everyone on heres advice I am going with hickory. Here is my question. A buddy of mine is doing some clearing and he took down a small hickory and saved it for me. The tree was cut down Monday. I will not be able to get it until Saturday. That is my question, am I setting myself up for failure collecting staves that will have set for a week unsealed? tree still has the bark on. Sorry for such a greenhorn question.

Offline Drewster

Re: Hickory wood harvest.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:00:28 pm »
You should be fine since it will only be five days.  You may have to trim a few inches off the ends to get to unchecked wood again, but cut the trunk to the rough lengths you want, split into staves, peel the bark and seal the backs and ends with two coats of shellac.....you should be good to go.  Store the staves outside, but under cover out of the sun for a few weeks and you'll be on your way.  Good luck and have fun.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 07:03:02 am »
What Drew said, I don't like to leave white wood out in the weather long but a few days shouldn't hurt it. It may make the bark a little harder to slip as it should peel pretty easy this time of year. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:39:16 pm »
Pappy is right, a few days wont hurt it at all.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:50:51 pm »
  Thanks guys for the info.