Author Topic: Help identify. Chokecherry?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Help identify. Chokecherry?
« on: August 24, 2015, 07:06:48 pm »
I'm not positive. I've eaten the dark fruit while ripe with no ill effects. I have an abundance of this tree on my property ranging from baby form to 8" in diameter. Would it be worthwhile for bow wood?

If it 's acceptable wood for staves I will harvest some of the larger and offer it for trade.

There is one which can't be relatively confirmed from the pics but the leaves are the same. 12" diameter.  Someone I know in Brevard has done me a few favors and so he gets the other half of that one.

If it's not acceptable for bows then I'll leave them be. The Finches and other little reptiles seem to be attracted.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help identify. Chokecherry?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 08:02:41 pm »
I've actually never seen a choke cherry tree but I have used the bark for bow backings and the bark is smooth and coppery colored...unless covered with lichens and moss.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:10:32 pm »
Fred that is Hackberry

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:14:38 pm »
I think It looks like hackberry too. Should make a good bow if that's the case.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:44:56 pm »
Hackberry, not Chokecherry.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:14:24 pm »
Thank you!!! I have other hackberry but the leaves and fruit don't look the same.

And the younger trees surrounding have smooth bark up to 2" diameter and then develop scales.

I don't believe it's hackberry although there is a lot of hack on the property. The fruit and leaves don't correspond.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:20:28 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 10:22:31 pm »
If you are referencing the trees in the pics Fred it is 100 percent hackberry.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:31:48 pm »
OK, Thanks Jon. I appreciate all of your input. Hackberry it will be!!!

Sure hope I don't get sick from all them hackberry fruit I indulged.

Now I'm thinking hackberry jam.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:34:23 pm »
Several types in North America and ranges overlap. Also foreign types may possibly be planted.

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 10:35:05 pm »
I've never seen berries on any hackberry before.

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 10:36:53 pm »
There is a reason it isnt called Hacknut. Lol

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 11:56:15 pm »
Hey Fred-

Cut some of that hackberry and makes some staves - I really like it and readily available around here - plus you usually can find some really straight stuff.  I have some nice shooting hacks.

Wild choke cherries in our area are pretty small and more of a shrub - you will be lucky to find one 2" in diameter.  I find it difficult to dry without splitting and warping.  The ones I have cut never made it into a bow.  In some areas I believe they do get bigger and will make a bow?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline RAU

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 09:38:26 am »
I see hackberry as well. Never used it but have heard some good things. There was a pic in one of the Bowyers bible of Dean Torges Holding a hackberry bow that had a bunch of arrows thru it and held the original reflex he put in it

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 10:32:58 am »
Thank you. I'm convinced. Hackberry it is. I should be able to get some nice straight staves out of a few of these trees.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 04:53:46 pm »
I see hackberry as well. Never used it but have heard some good things. There was a pic in one of the Bowyers bible of Dean Torges Holding a hackberry bow that had a bunch of arrows thru it and held the original reflex he put in it
Look again.