Author Topic: Types of bamboo with or without glass?  (Read 2998 times)

jimbob78

Types of bamboo with or without glass?
« on: August 14, 2015, 02:05:04 pm »
Hi all, I'm looking to make a 25 pound 'board-bow' from a single piece of material.  I like the idea of using bamboo for this and a search of the internet shows a few folk who've done this successfully using solid bamboo flooring pieces, either on their own or with a backing.  There appear to be four main types of solid bamboo flooring;

1. Horizontal.  From what I've read this is best avoided?

2. Regular bamboo vertically stacked.  This appears not to be heat treated.

3. 'Caramelised' bamboo vertically stacked.  This is not dyed but heat treated.  I've read that bamboo gets significantly stronger/stiffer when heat treated as well as taking on this darker colouring.  I'm thinking this is therefore probably better for a bow provided it doesn't get too brittle?

4. Strand woven bamboo.  This is where the bamboo is broken down into strands, heat treated and then reconstituted into planks under very high pressure with an adhesive, so kind of a natural-fiber composite material.  This sounds like it could be very useful but I'm betting a lot depends on the adhesive and how homogeneous are the fibers used.  My gut says if the adhesive is poor then the material will take on a bend very quickly.

I can find mention of all of the above in relation to bow making but I haven't been able to find a comparison of these or a definitive or educated opinion on which is best.  I'm guessing it wouldn't be difficult to get hold of a sample of each and make a couple of simple arms out of each to test on a makeshift rig for bending, breaking point and the extent to which they will take on bend over time.  Know of anyone who's done this?

Lastly, I have some unidirectional 50mm glass tape I could epoxy onto the back and belly if need be.  This would complicate matters so I'm wondering what folks' opinion is of this.  Also, if the plans I'm following indicate a 14mm thick bamboo layer, how many mm would folk normally reduce to replace with glass laminate?  I'm guessing it would need to be significantly thinner for even a very thin single layer of glass?

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Types of bamboo with or without glass?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 02:18:25 pm »
if you want to make a 25 pound bow from a single piece of material - and you like the "look" of bamboo, I would suggest you use rattan.  Cut the pole in half (lengthwise) and the outside becomes the belly of the bow.  Works great for a light weight bow. 

Russ

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 04:01:32 pm »
The bamboo flooring needs backing , rattan is a good choice or a bamboo slat useing the inside as the back this is from one of the bowyers bibles i just cant remember which one
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sparky Buckwheat

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:08:41 pm »
I just finished a 62" 42#@28" vertical bamboo flooring pyramid style bow ( not heat treated).  It is backed with two layers of stretched silk/epoxy.  Has a nice soft release and seems to shoot well. Not sure how durable it will be but i am happy so far.  No f-word-glass required. It was an experiment as I have heard the same things.  Good luck and happy bowyering.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 03:23:45 pm »
Bamboo flooring can be used without a backing and I have seen a few bows made from it in fact I made one myself. Like you said vertical grain is a MUST. But I would still back it with silk or something, just not that gosh darn fiberglass!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

jimbob78

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 03:50:07 pm »
I've worked with fibreglass and am very comfortable with it. I had assumed it'd be a good choice of material for a backing. Is that not the case?

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 04:09:58 pm »
Jimbob, this forum is primitive, not allowed to discuss any synthetic bow making materials here. natural only!

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »
Bamboo flooring can be used without a backing and I have seen a few bows made from it in fact I made one myself. Like you said vertical grain is a MUST. But I would still back it with silk or something, just not that gosh darn fiberglass!

Congrats to you, personally i still wouldn't build one or recomend it guess I'm just stubborn 😁

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 09:43:26 pm »
Bubby, I hate that bamboo bow though. It' took so much set in the florida humidity that I hardly even have to bend it to brace it. Besides, I like sapling bows better :)

Offline Gaur

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 09:55:19 pm »
most bamboo only bows will not be very quick shooter unless you have a specialized species like they use for Bhutan bamboo bows and you know what you are doing.  It works better as a backing or in a yumi style laminated bow imo.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 10:07:40 pm »
Bubby, I hate that bamboo bow though. It' took so much set in the florida humidity that I hardly even have to bend it to brace it. Besides, I like sapling bows better :)

I love sapling bows too fun to make and shoot

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:15:47 pm »
Guar, yeah, I knew when I built it that it was gonna be a slow one but just not THAT slow. I have had a reduction in set by using the outer fibers as the back on an all natural bamboo bow, I tiller on the back and it still has plenty of tension strength.