Author Topic: Plains Style Quiver Leather?  (Read 3981 times)

Offline punch

Plains Style Quiver Leather?
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:02:31 pm »
What weight leather and type of leather are you using for your plains style quivers?  I made one with some deer leather I bought at Tandy but I am always worried that the broadheads will push thru the leather. I also have had problems with feather damage with it.   I want to make a new one but looking for some pointers.  Also if you use a different material what are you using?  Any issues with broadheads using it?  I saw a post awhile back with a wool one I was interested in but never asked any questions on it.  Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Plains Style Quiver Leather?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:11:27 pm »
Probably 4ozto 6oz would be about as thick as you would want. You might consider a rawhide cup or sleeve for the broadheads to go into. You can do this with the quiver you already have. Unless you make the quiver short enough so the feathers stick out they will get crushed a bit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:17:54 pm »
I agree with Pat B. The most common way was to sew a rawhide disk to the bottom of the quiver, but a rawhide or stiff leather cup tied to a stick was also used. Feathers on plains arrows were long, but they were trimmed very close to the vein. This didn't completely keep them from being crunched, but it definitely helps. I will find and post a quiver bottom (rawhide) and a quiver cup. Curtis
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:42:52 pm by tipi stuff »

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:47:16 pm »
I don't know how well these photos will show up. The quiver bottom just has a piece of rawhide sewn to the bottom. A thick piece of leather will also work, and many old quivers were done that way. The two cups on sticks are from Comanche quivers. The cups are from heavy pieces of tanned buffalo, but rawhide cups were also used. The stick, attached to the cups, reaches to the mouth of the quiver. CC
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:24:56 pm by tipi stuff »

Offline punch

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:40:15 am »
Thanks that is kind of what I was thinking.  I had in my current quiver a piece of rawhide but it was a after thought and was not sewn in.  What else besides leather have been use for plains quivers?

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 07:18:00 am »
That's pretty much it. Plains quivers were all made of hide, though some had the hair left on, and others were just leather. By the 1860's, there were even a few made out of commercial vegetable or bark tanned leather, but they were never as common as those made from native tanned buckskin. It seems as though most of the commercially tanned quivers are from the southern plains. CC

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 08:56:40 pm »
In the bottom of the quivers was at times wood shavings to prevent cut through padding and a place to store an extra string.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 11:37:34 pm »
I've put some grass and even a plastic wally world bag in the bottom
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 11:46:23 pm »
I agree with Spotted, sometimes things such as extra strings or tinder for fires might be carried in the bottom of the quiver. I used to always carry cedar bark for starting fires. It is a handy way to carry those things until you start pulling arrows out. Often, I would pull one arrow, it would snag in the cedar bark and pull the bark and several extra arrows out. Now I only put the bark in a quiver that carries points that are long and narrow.  CC