Author Topic: reflex deflex tiller check  (Read 5711 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: reflex deflex tiller check
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 12:37:28 pm »
Its all in the handle Dylan. The limbs are flat and that handle is bending hard. If you feel the limbs are getting thin, narrow them rather. Your tiller would look good now IF you had 4-5" of reflex in the limbs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 05:05:13 pm »
how does she look now ???

also pretty much all of my reflex is gone :( :-X do you think its safe to try cooking it back in again?

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 09:01:00 am »
It doesn't look to me like that handle is bending too much at all.

It didn't look like it was bending too much originally, and it still doesn't look to be bending excessively.

Personally, I think if it shoots well I would leave it alone before you tiller your way to a children's draw weight.

That's just one man's opinion.

Usually if I make it to draw length and later decide the tiller needs touch up, I do all of that touching up by side tillering, beginning with narrowing tips as much as possible. Belly tillering doesn't make much sense to me on a bow that's at draw length and doesn't show some horrendous hinge.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 09:14:52 am »
Benny if the working limbs are straight at rest, straight at brace and nearly straight drawn to 28". What is bending to allow that to happen?

I think it looks much better Dylan. Does it shoot the same? Different? Worse? Better? Smoother? More quiet? Louder?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 11:19:16 pm »
shoots about the same, less poundage though. i think i might put it back on my reflexing form and heat treat it again when i get back from my field job at work.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 07:00:23 am »
If it shoots the same at less poundage, you've made improvements. Heavy weight doesn't always equate to a fast bow. Efficient bows are fast bows.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 10:23:25 am »
If it shoots the same at less poundage, you've made improvements. Heavy weight doesn't always equate to a fast bow. Efficient bows are fast bows.
thanks pearl still trying to wrap my head around that one ??? ;D

now that i'm back in town now and have shot it a bit more, i have decided ( i think ) that the hand shock is actually worse?
here is what i think is going on. after all of the reflex pulled out it left the bow with effectively 3 1/2-3 3/4in of set. could that be the cause of the handshock ??? and if so how/should i go about fixing it?

or i should i just leave well enough alone and call it a learning experience?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 10:56:21 am »
Look at it this way. You've lessened the draw weight by making the limbs bend more. Even though the weight is lesser the bow shoots just as fast. That means you found efficiency.

I believe the hand shock comes from that handle area. Id leave it be and try another.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 11:21:20 am »
I tried to draw straight lines, its close enough to get my drift. You can see you have just a slight bend at full draw compared to a flat limb at rest and at brace. That means the handle has to give way to allow 28" of draw.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 07:46:09 pm »
thanks pearl i understand the theory fine, just trying to reconcile the cave man part of my brain that says a heavier bow will throw a heavy arrow farther  ::)

i'll take your advice call this one finished and try again  :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:21 pm »
That's one of the greatest assets of that RD design, low poundage bows can just rip arrows. Tweak your next build a bit and you'll see , ooga booga ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 08:58:52 pm »
Chris....I can really appreciate and understand your comments....But ,  Dylan I'd take those comments to heart.. ;) :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking