Author Topic: Meet "Sunshine"  (Read 1898 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Meet "Sunshine"
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:05:06 pm »
15 or so years ago I planted a couple pecan trees... Divorced, then remarried and last year my wife said "I need you to cut those trees so my flowers have sunshine on the porch" 

I split one of them into 4 staves debarked and dried in the shop.  I decided to make her a bow, since she once commented "when are you making me a bow? You make them for everyone else..."  Well, hello "Sunshine"!

It twisted a bit as it dried, I tried heating it straight and did get a little back.  I side tillered a little to make the limbs line up better for the draw.

It's backed with turkey feathers from the bird she killed this year.  I sized the bow with Titebond III, had the feathers trimmed and ready to dip in a water glue solution then applied to the damp surface. I then simply polyurethaned 6-8 coats over top.. Looks good to me, we'll see if it holds up?

She had a leather purse that got stained, and was no longer of any value, so I hoarded it for future use! Made the handle wrap and shelf and strike plate covering of it..
Deer antler overlays .

It took about an inch and a half of set, and from the full draw pic looks like the outer limbs aren't bending, it doesn't look like that on the tillering tree, I think it's the angle and trying to get a self portrait with a cell phone... lol

It's 63.5" ntn, 37# at 27", and her birthday present...  Since she got me a Stave Press for Father's Day... :D

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Meet "Sunshine"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 02:26:14 pm »
Beautifully! Great story too, I like how you used things that would make it sentimental to her as well. I wish my wife would show a bit more interest. I would love to make her something like that. I may have to steal your turkey feather idea! It looks great! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 02:29:38 pm »
Cool story, not many can claim they planted, harvested and built a bow from one tree.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:48:12 pm »
Joe,
I can tell lots of thought went into that bow.......great story....And you know I love the turkey feather backing.. :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 12:32:05 am »
Great job on that one Joe!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:54:43 am »
Excellent story and very nice bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 09:09:40 am »
That will always be a special bow for your wife......nice job and thanks for sharing the story.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 07:54:54 pm »
Thanks guys! I try to make something special into every bow.  The one's that aren't "inspired" in some way are standing in the corner half finished...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:12:16 am »
Nice story and nice bow, I am sure she will love it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good