Author Topic: Boiling yew tips **EDIT** Tiller advise requested  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Oakenshield

Re: Boiling yew tips **EDIT** Tiller advise requested
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 02:46:09 pm »
haha to FULL BRACE IT IS LEB! I've been trying to take it slow out of fear for either breaking the darn thing or giving it more set than it could have. ill brace it now and get better pics. I was working with the light i had last night so that was the only available space for pictures. Here goes nothin.
College Student, Fly Fisherman, New Bowyer, and proud Army Veteran.

A-Troop, 1/75 Cavalry, 2nd Brigade, 101 Airbourne

Offline Oakenshield

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 03:02:41 pm »
I really have no idea. I see a hinge when its unstrung, its quite obvious, but not on the tree?

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 03:05:10 pm »
It's there, right above the doorknob.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 04:42:25 pm »
Your right, put yourself a bunch of x's on the belly in about a 4in spot right where the hinge is. Don't touch that spot again till you have the right limb Bending better.  Work on the section from the right of the hinge out to about 6in from the tips. Work that section and flex it several times between scraping sessions. Leave the left side alone till you get the right side squared away. JMO Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 04:45:41 pm »
Your right, put yourself a bunch of x's on the belly in about a 4in spot right where the hinge is. Don't touch that spot again till you have the right limb Bending better.  Work on the section from the right of the hinge out to about 6in from the tips. Work that section and flex it several times between scraping sessions. Leave the left side alone till you get the right side squared away. JMO Patrick

Also work to the left of the hinge some. Your trying to weaken the right limb till it matches the bend in the hinge area. If that makes sense. Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Oakenshield

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 05:51:22 pm »
Okay guys i took all of you're advice, and i think i got this thing bending semi-decent at 26". Right now its pulling 54# @ 26" and im starting to feel like i'm close to my first real success in this hobby :). But before i get excited for nothing I'm gunna ask you're opinion one more time, see anything i should be concerned about? Especially you Leb, i really appreciate you're insight, youve helped me allot.

Thanks Again, Oak

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 06:09:32 pm »
Thanks oak! You need a little more work. I would take a few more scrapes on the right fade. You hinge is almost gone but not quite. Then take a few scrapes from the outer third of both limbs. Post several pictures of your progression. Also, what draw length are you after? What poundage are you wanting? After a short scraping section, take a draw pic and a braced pic and an unbraced pic. Post all three. Try to get a clean backdrop. We can tell a lot from those pictures. I'll check in later. Best thing to do right now is go SLOW! Wait for us to respond before going any further. We will get your bend good for you. Also don't leave it pulled for more than just a couple seconds to get a pic. A bow that is full drawn is 2/3rds broken. Patrick

Offline Oakenshield

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 06:33:09 pm »
You bet Leb! Thanks for so much help! Okay so i started to see that same strong spot in the fade when i got the pic up on the computer. I'm removing 5 scrapes at a time until its fixed. This is it again after 10 scrapes. I was going for 55# @ 28" but if its a little stronger that's fine, i don't mind the extra weight. just means i gotta make more arrows that's all.  Also, the set is horrible! maybe it will go away over night? Is there any way to straighten this thing back up?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 12:50:40 am »
Take some more off the inner 5 inches of the right fade. And a little off the inner 3 inches of the left fade. And a little more on the outer third of each limb leaving the last six inches alone. Remember to feather it all out. Don't make abrupt start and stops. Exercise it good, take another picture and let us see it again. I would leave the set alone. It shows in the right limb exactly where the hinge was at. Go slow your really close. Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 12:56:38 am »
How is your bow coming? Patrick

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 03:16:19 am »
That set is perfectly reasonable... with the tips on the floor, can you get more that 2 fingers under the grip?
IMO 1 finger is great 2 is fine, 3 is getting a bit much. It's relatively short and working quite hard...
Set isn't the evil some people make out, would you rather have chrysals or a broken limb?
It can be removed at this early stage by heat treating belly with the bow clamped up with a tiny hint of reflex (maybe a 1" block under the grip)... but There are risks. It will also give you upto 10# of extra draw weight which can be used to refine the tiller.
It's not without risk tho'
I'd leave it alone and enjoy shooting it...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.