Author Topic: Bird/small game arrow  (Read 1745 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Bird/small game arrow
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:07:20 pm »
I've had this concept in my head for a while and have been slowly grinding down a couple pieces of antler.  The idea was to grind out a little hole through the cane shaft and slide the antler pieces through then sinew the heck out of it and do the same at roughly a right angle to the previous piece to make a cross.  So the other day I finally did it!  The arrow is almost abo but I used my rasp to grind down the antler.  Even then it took forever!

I haven't seen this done before but it was definitely inspired by Thad Beckum's turkey arrows.  This was just a test so I did it on an old arrow I had laying around and mainly wanted to see how it flies.  Once your antler pieces are done it's pretty easy to mount them on the arrow.  A squirrel and a robin watched me make it and it was very tempting to shoot both of them but that's probably not a good idea in public.  I did shoot at random objects and it flies pretty good!  I think the fletchings are trimmed down a little low so I'm thinking of making it a flu flu.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Bird/small game arrow
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:00:32 pm »
I do believe your becoming a master at it all nice looking arrow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:08:32 pm »
Looks cool, Tim. Keep us posted on the results.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 09:54:44 am »
I bet that'd leave a turkey with a headache for sure!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 01:46:47 pm »
Thanks guys!  I definitely want to get some pigeons or eurasian collared doves.  I guess I might try to hunt spring turkey back in Florida. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:53:20 pm »
A few years ago Cowboy did a "How Too" build of some and then went dove hunting with them. And he actually killed a dove flying. Looking at the picture it would probably fly a little better by whittling down  the blade some, get away from the propeller design and lean more towards two crossed dowels.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?