Author Topic: Splicing on levers  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Red-Beard_the_Gael

Splicing on levers
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:08:31 am »
I have a black locust stave that is a little short and wanted to splice some levers on the ends. My own search of Google for splicing tutorials have yielded little to nothing and was wondering if anyone here had any links to this subject. Thanks in advance. By the way, the design I had in mind for the bow is like the holmgard bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Splicing on levers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:37:22 am »
Most Asiatic horn bows have spliced in levers. Also, there have been a few guys lately here on PA that have posted bows with spliced in levers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:52:18 am »
A simple vee splice will work for you
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:14:32 pm »
Several posts on here refer to this.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »

here is the lever constructed with the backing and a glued on piece of boo (underlay):

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,48559.0.html
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:44:46 pm »
Thanks for the link. My main question concerning splices is will a joint survive in the working portion of the limb if it's backed?

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:20:46 am »
Yes! No problem, v splice running from back to belly is the way to go. Get your joint as close to perfection as you possibly can then steam both ends for 15 minutes, fit together (without glue!!!) and clamp firmly in position, let them cool thoroughly and bingo you have perfect splices that will not fail.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 05:24:25 pm »
How long in total should the joint be? And it will hold without glue?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 05:55:57 pm »
 :laugh: Hell I did mine bassackwards  and they still worked out fine.  I've shot around a couple hundred arrows through it already and haven't sinew wrapped the splice yet.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »
How long in total should the joint be? And it will hold without glue?

A general rule for the length of the spliced glue-line is 1 to 8.  So, for every 1 inch of width, you want 8 inches of length.  (You can prolly get by with 1 to 6, as I recall that was the standard scarfing rule when I was taking shop class a million years ago, but I've always used 1 to 8 or better  :) ).  So, if the limb is an inch wide, and you're using a V-splice, it would need to be 4 inches long to give you 1 to 8, ...which would be 4 inches from each side of the V.

As to the NO GLUE bit, ...I think Mike was just suggesting to clamp the two pieces together after they are steamed without glue to let them cool into the perfect fit.  Then to glue them after they are cooled down and fitted together perfectly.

Onebow

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:28:51 pm »
Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the how-to :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 03:13:40 am »
Haha! No glue  :o
I make mine 3 1/2 inch long for tip sections. For a handle splice I make them 4 inch.