Author Topic: Ash/Ipe Takedown Longbow  (Read 3947 times)

Offline WilltheArcher

Ash/Ipe Takedown Longbow
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »
Hey guys - I got a lot of help on this forum with a bow I finished last month. Meant to post the final results a while ago but got caught up with a busy summer job. Here they are. I know it's a pretty atypical bow, what with a cast aluminum riser and cast aluminum nocks too. But it was a fun project and oh man, did I learn so much. 72" nock to nock, ash/ipe laminate limbs, 1 1/4" width, 16" riser, 40# draw.

I got a lot of help from you guys and I'm so grateful, never would have been able to do it without this forum. MVP award goes to Del for responding to about a dozen messages a day towards the end when things got truly crazy :). Del, I'm dead serious - send me your address and I'll have a bottle of your favorite wine or beer or something sent to your house.

I don't think I'm done with bow making. I'd like to fashion another set of limbs sometime (no metal nocks this time around) or make one for my brother. We'll see! Thanks again yall.

Offline bubby

Re: Ash/Ipe Takedown Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:20:00 pm »
Glad you got her to shooting congrats, get that elbow down inline with the arrow😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:22:44 am »
Learning is what its all about. If you build a bow and learn nothing, you didn't pay attention.

Watch the threads on the bolts that hold your tips on. Even though that string is just missing now at brace, it may hit at release. It can cut 4 or 5 strands in a hurry and your string will let go, in a hurry just the same! Id suggest grinding the studs flat to the nut.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:28:17 am »
Cool bow, nice riser. Looks like she is built for the long haul.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:29:50 am »
I would be very nervous about one of those nocks breaking off... Those things look like they would hurt very bad if they came around and got you. Sort of like the difference between getting hit by the belt when your a kid and accidentally getting hit with the buckle too.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:21:55 am »
Congrats on completing a most interesting bow.  By all means, build another one with your new knowledge.  Some leather or Velcro for an arrow rest and back plate might quieten your shooting.  Enjoy!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:58:04 am »
Learning is what its all about. If you build a bow and learn nothing, you didn't pay attention.

Watch the threads on the bolts that hold your tips on. Even though that string is just missing now at brace, it may hit at release. It can cut 4 or 5 strands in a hurry and your string will let go, in a hurry just the same! Id suggest grinding the studs flat to the nut.
I would think the angle of the nocks is going to cut the string  even before that.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »
Ah, I remember this from reddit.

It certainly looks like good tiller, and the riser looks functional, but those tips still seem counter intuitive. The wood swelling at the tip by itself is more weight than I'd have at the end of a bow. Those tips are also putting visible wear on the string. I think you can still save this bow but you'd have to be willing to abandon the metal tips and smooth out that riser like pearlie said.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 03:34:58 am »
Well done getting a shooter BUT you really should change those tips. The main problem is the angle of the string grooves this will wear your string super quick. The angle of the string groove should not put an angle in the string itself when braced and the bottom of the groove should be wider to accomodate the changing angle of the string loop during the draw, basically make everywhere the string sits as smooth and rounded as possible. Losing the tips and shaping them properly will gain you some arrow speed as well  :)
I'm not meaning to sound negative, you've done a great job for your first build but you may as well do the finishing touches that will make it work properly and more importantly shoot great without cutting your strings.
Look at your full draw picture - your forearm should be in a straight line with the arrow then when you release you don't put any unwanted sideways force on the nock.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 05:18:16 am »
Glad to see you got it all done.
Gotta agree with all the comments about the nocks... a triumph of form over function ;)
Thanks for the offer of a bottle, but no need, I'm just passing on some of the help I've received over the years and that's what this community is about.... I think the shipping to the UK would be a killer too :laugh:
Well done, I hope you've got a lifetimes interest now.
Del :)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 01:25:41 pm »
Will, you didn't ask for critique of your form but I'm going to say it anyway: You'll find it much easier to be consistent in your shooting if you get your elbow down about 6" to where it is in line with the arrow.

Sorry you can't buy anything with my two cents, but there it is.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine