Author Topic: tree ID please  (Read 3627 times)

Offline okie64

Re: tree ID please
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 12:43:30 pm »
Going off bark and leaves my guess would be winged elm. It is extremely heavy when it is fresh cut.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 01:12:34 pm »
Glad I could generate such discussion lol.  I wish I was there when they cut it.  Personally, I've never cut any elm down here that I would describe as that heavy.  I'll just call it MongolianTulip and be done with it lol.  I'll see if I can get a pic of the cross-section.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 01:38:31 pm »
Going off bark and leaves my guess would be winged elm. It is extremely heavy when it is fresh cut.
Doesn't winged Elm actually have corky wings on the twigs?

Offline okie64

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 02:06:51 pm »
Doesn't winged Elm actually have corky wings on the twigs?

Some do and some dont, it varies from tree to tree. Usually the corky wings are only on the smaller trees up to 6" diameter or so.

Offline okie64

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »
Heres some pics of one I cut a few years ago. Toughest wood I've ever split.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 02:18:53 pm »
Here is a close-up of a trunk section.  One guy is calling it ash?  At any rate, don't know if this helps:

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 10:09:21 pm »
Where are you located?  I agree that it looks like an elm to me.  Doesn't look like any HHB, Ostrya virginiana that I've ever seen..

Offline JohnL

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 10:42:41 pm »
     Looks like it could be a cedar elm (Texas Elm).  The leaf looks just like a standard elm, only much smaller, and the bark description seems to match as well.  Take a look at this link...

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/TreeDetails/?id=127

–John

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 11:04:37 pm »
I don't know what burning elm smells like but HHB and HB smell like burnt popcorn to me when the dremel is too fast.

I looks and sounds an awful lot like the HHB we have in this area. Heavy as iron when wet and nearly impossible to split. I just found my first few elm trees this week so I have little actual hands on experience with elm. I'll know how they split soon enough. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 11:52:48 pm »
I hate to disagree with all of the HHB theories, but that is definitely Elm. I live in NE Texas, and wee have loads of it here. it grows in hardwood forests with hickory like the one in the background of that pic'. I have used it for bows and it is excellent. Very difficult to split tho. Hope this helps.
-Dan

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 01:01:58 am »
I've heard the wood characteristics were similar between elm and HHB apparently they look a bit alike as well.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 01:48:27 am »
I hate to disagree with all of the HHB theories, but that is definitely Elm. I live in NE Texas, and wee have loads of it here. it grows in hardwood forests with hickory like the one in the background of that pic'. I have used it for bows and it is excellent. Very difficult to split tho. Hope this helps.
-Dan
Looking at the higher up cut I would agree that it looks less like HHB.