Author Topic: Hot wire cutter  (Read 2730 times)

Offline DC

Hot wire cutter
« on: June 06, 2015, 02:32:11 pm »
Got my fletching cutter working. Made the cutter out of scrap with a clothspin for a tensioner. Mounted it in the toolholder on my lathe. I had to put a light dimmer switch(white knob) in the AC side of my battery charger to cut the heat a bit(the first fletching I did burst into flames :o :o) After all the mods it works a treat. Smell kind of lingers doesn't it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hot wire cutter
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 04:29:32 pm »
I can't picture how it works.  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 05:59:46 pm »
I'm going to set it up a little later, I'll take some action shots. I turn the lathe by hand if that helps.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 06:27:50 pm »
Now you can see the charger connected to the wire. You can just make out the wire against the fletch. I was just evening up an old arrow. New arrows make more smoke and smell. You can see the red hot wire in the last picture. Does that help. You could set the same thing up on a cresting lathe.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 06:32:33 pm »
Great idea with the lathe to get equal burns on each feather.   Did you dial your arrows in to the thousandth? ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 07:14:25 pm »
I have to figure out how to grab the nock in the tailstock, then to the thousandth ;) ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 08:07:31 pm »
Using what you have to make what you need, pretty ingenious.   8)
 I do my feather burning on the front porch rail in the breeze.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 08:40:15 pm »
Do you pick the day so the wind goes to "that" neighbour >:D >:D

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 09:40:00 pm »
I just remembered that I got this idea from Del's blog. :-[ :-[ Thanks Del

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 02:35:56 pm »
I'm an avid vaper (e-cigs) and I use a setup that let's you build your own atomizer coils, so I've been contemplating just making a shape out of 24g kanthal wire and setting my vaporizer to 100w and use that to burn feathers, lol. I would have to use an old atomizer deck I don't use anymore, cause I don't think anyone would want to vape out of it after that smell sets in, lol. To give you an idea of what I mean here is a pic of a standard set of coils heating up, now imagine instead of coiled up the wire runs out from the deck and makes a feather cutting shape and then back to the other terminal: