Author Topic: Little tiller critique and hand shock...  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Little tiller critique and hand shock...
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:10:52 pm »
Have this bow almost where I want it. It shoots very well but has a bit of hand shock, I'm not sure if it's because of the knot in the upper limb or not. I intentionally left that area a tad stiff when tillering but wouldn't mind a second set of eyes on it. Top limb is on the right in the pictures...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Little tiller critique and hand shock...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 02:31:55 pm »
The knot shouldn't effect it but the tips look too wide. That could be where the shock is coming from.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 02:47:41 pm »
Not just the last 2" of tip, but narrow the last 8" of limb. Id suggest getting that knot area bending more. It will hold up fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »
Tiller looks good and I agree that the knot should be left slightly stiff. Looks like you did a good job.
Do narrow the last 6-8 inches or so as much as possible.
Also note  to see if he handle pressure is even as you draw and let down.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »
On your first profile picture you do have some fat wood in the last 6" of your tips.

If your tillering has the limbs slightly out of time, this could be the cause of your handshock.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 03:35:12 pm »
  I think the handshock is comming from your right limb, bending just a tad too much out of the fade, overall I wouldn't imagine the shock to be too bad, the bow looks good.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 03:50:01 pm »
Not just the last 2" of tip, but narrow the last 8" of limb. Id suggest getting that knot area bending more. It will hold up fine.

+1 and limb timing is important, especially if you're working with highly asymmetrical limbs.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:12:40 pm »
Thanks guys. I did notice that the bottom top was a bit thick. I think the picture makes the top top look thicker than it is. I'll try reducing that then shooting it. Shoots really good aside from the jolt.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 04:59:07 am »
I would thin the tips as has been said and maybe thin the knot area a bit, I wouldn't want it to ben much in that area if it was mine. Looks good overall, maybe a little to much out of the right fad as Steve said, always have to be very careful with that, that is where they always want to bend first so I usually save the fads until the last few inches and then get them working a bit. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jayman448

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 11:05:43 am »
I am by far no expert.. but does any one else see a little hingey looking area right off the right fade?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 11:40:53 am »
  Only 2 things cause hand shock. To heavy tips or one limbs finish's before the other.

Lookes like your upper limb bends more right off the hadle. The lower limb looks good but it's really hard to tell from a pic.

Your tips look a tad heavey. B
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 01:25:32 pm »
  Only 2 things cause hand shock. To heavy tips or one limbs finish's before the other.

Lookes like your upper limb bends more right off the hadle. The lower limb looks good but it's really hard to tell from a pic.

Jayman, thats where I think the shock is comming from

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 01:28:43 pm »

I think a main contributor to long bow shock is when the entire limb is finishing at the same time instead of rolling out gently like a fishing pole.  A while back I had to do a bunch of bows so I used the gizmo tillering device and all the bows had handshock where my bows don't normally have any handshock. I blamed the tillering device. I tried the device again but this time I marked the bow when it was at about 3/4 draw and the handshock went away.