Author Topic: walnut?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline dylanholderman

walnut?
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:11:32 pm »
to you guys that have used walnut before, would you take this out of the woods or leave it be ???
the straight portion is about 7-8ft long and about 6in thick.

looks like it was made for bows  >:D but i haven't used this wood to make a bow before so i dunno :-\ :-X

Offline Ryan C

Re: walnut?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:28:17 pm »
I'd cut it if I were you. It makes a good bow I've heard.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 11:19:07 pm »
I would cut it.  It makes a good bow.  I made a bow out of black walnut last summer.  It is a good shooter.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 01:43:21 am »
I remember seeing a bow I was really impressed by made of black walnut. Do a search for "blackthorn". Not sure if it was this site or not so google might be the best place. I've been looking for a good BW ever since.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:33:36 pm »
black walnut makes a light, fast shooting bow. the nice thing is you treat it like a white wood. peal the bark and you have your back. all white sapwood bows are all I've had a chance to do, but they have been sweet shooters. worthwhile to cloth back if there's any question about the wood though.  it does take a noticeable set, at least in my experience. doesn't change my liking of the wood, though!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:52 pm »
Gun Doc just finished one.  He may have some pointers.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:38:33 pm »
I'd cut it!  There's at least a couple bows there.  Josh

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:28:15 pm »
cool thanks guys ;D good to know that i can make a bow from it 8) i think i will leave it in the woods for the time being though, its not going anywhere and i need to get me garage organized before i cut any more staves ::)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:18:00 am »
I've got one that is 2" wide with 26" limbs that draws 50#@26". Took about 1" set and is petty quick. Chased a ring down so that it was 50/50 sapwood and heartwood. I violated some rings but is still holding together well. I love working with the wood. The piece I played with was easy to work with and responded well. I say cut it and see hat you can do with it.

Kyle