Author Topic: water curing wood  (Read 21213 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Re: water curing wood
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2015, 11:05:27 am »
Thanks, I was confused because I know the word hysteresis in another way, the difference MC of wood vs ambient moisture depending on how dry it became and where it is on a wetting/drying curve.  It must be a generic term to describe similar relationships.

Here is the hysteresis curves for drying and wetting wood. I betcha the curves for internal friction looks the same.

http://www2.nau.edu/~doetqp-p/courses/env302/lec18/18fig5.gif

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2015, 07:39:05 pm »
I suppose that hiding staves in water would keep the enemy from finding them and keep the bugs off of them so you could bring them out in the winter when the bugs were dormant..

I know wood sure looks different that has been under water for 30-40 years..

I think if I was raiding another village and had a chance of getting killed, I'd be carrying off an armload of eighteen year old maiden before I'd haul away a stash of heavy, soggy wood. This whole theory seems like a lot of work for NA's when they have a BIG choice of wood everywhere. At least more then we have and most of us have buildings full.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2015, 10:36:58 pm »
Thanks, I was confused because I know the word hysteresis in another way, the difference MC of wood vs ambient moisture depending on how dry it became and where it is on a wetting/drying curve.  It must be a generic term to describe similar relationships.

Here is the hysteresis curves for drying and wetting wood. I betcha the curves for internal friction looks the same.

http://www2.nau.edu/~doetqp-p/courses/env302/lec18/18fig5.gif

It is a term used in many situations, even economics.  One area of study of hysteresis is in job growth...economy is at "X", but fails to thrive and falls to X-Y% and you lose a number of jobs.  When the economy returns to X, the jobs gain is less than what was lost...a hysteresis. I love reading economists' writings, they are incredible at predicting what HAPPENED!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2015, 11:48:56 pm »
Makes sense.  Thanks!