Author Topic: Catlanite Pipe  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Parnell

Catlanite Pipe
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:30:49 am »
GunDoc hooked me up with a piece of Catlanite last week in the mail.  A really huge thanks to Josh.  He's a heck of a good guy.

I've wanted to a project like this for a long time, gotta say this is really a lot of fun to do.  The Catlanite works really nicely.  He was good enough to bore in the bowl and all even through a nice piece of ERC for the stem.  All I have to do is shape it.  Put several hours into it Saturday and it's looking pretty good!

Just as cool is all the dust left behind.  Makes a really nice pigment.  I'll post more pictures as I finish the stem and all.

Hope you are all well.
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Catlanite Pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 01:37:39 pm »
So that's a 3 hose'r Steve-O? :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:06:20 pm »
Man oh man!  That's looking real nice!  I can't wait to see it with stem and all gussied up!  Josh

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:54:51 pm »
Over the years I have made several of these pipes and have one in the works now.  They are fun to make and to some of us are very spiritual.  As much time can be spent on the stem as on the bowl.  On the Indian side of beliefs one should never be stored or displayed with the stem and bowl attached.  My pipe is one of my very prized possessions.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:09 pm »
Great start, that is one sweet material.
Don't rush it. We can wait for a real pro job.
Good on ya Doc.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:39 am »
The first time I was exposed to this tradition was with you and Hawk, Joe.  I'll do my best to honor your tradition, I do appreciate what you have to say regarding customs.  Thanks. :)
1’—>1’

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 08:57:28 am »
Looking good thus far👍
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:56:16 pm »
I see in the pictures that you have some material left over.  I would recommend that you use a piece of it for the mouth piece of the pipe.  It can be easily shaped to your tastes and keeps the stem free of moisture.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:26 pm »
I see in the pictures that you have some material left over.  I would recommend that you use a piece of it for the mouth piece of the pipe.  It can be easily shaped to your tastes and keeps the stem free of moisture.  Joe

That's a good point Joe.  I didn't send him an extra for a mouthpiece, but I could easily enough. So how bout it Steve?  Want me to send you a piece?  Josh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 05:31:02 pm »
Josh, I've got some Steve can have. Save you from making a trip to the PO.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 09:03:12 pm »
That does sound like a good idea.  Sounds good, Eddie.  Been super busy lately with work finishing and getting all rigged up for my hike, but looking forward to getting back on this.
1’—>1’

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 02:13:12 am »
Good of ya Eddie! 
As fast as you knocked out the bowl, I figured it would be done by now.  Lol!  Looking forward to the finished product.  Josh

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 08:49:56 am »
Right, Josh?!   ;D
My wife is I think even more excited than I am.
Haven't had too much for free days lately.  I'll probably get some work done on it this weekend, though if I'm all clear on my gear and food.

Keep you posted.
1’—>1’

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 06:29:42 pm »
Wonder if a bored out gator tooth would work as a mouth piece?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 11:36:39 pm »
Very cool! I'm really interested in making a pipe one day myself. I really enjoyed watching Josh make his and can't wait to follow this one!

Joe, I really wish I would have had more time to visit with you at the classic. I would love to hear more about the traditions sometime. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!