Author Topic: Oily Osage????  (Read 8586 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Oily Osage????
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 01:33:16 pm »
Well, here's what I did.. I stripped it down and gave it 2 THIN coats of shellac to seal everything in. It dried really fast this time. :o
Now...what do I use for final finish? Tru-Oil, spray Minwax, or thin coats of brushable Helmsman Spar Urethane?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 02:07:33 pm »
I guess any of that will work,but all I have ever used much was Tru oil.I usually don't even
degrease it unless I plan on putting on snake skins or rawhide/sinew and haven't had
any problems.I just wipe it on with a clean rag or my finger most of the time.Let it dry overnight and buff it light wit 000 steel wool and then put on another coat.I will do this 5 or 6 times,for
my hunting bows 8 or 10 coats.I have had the spray not want to dry,don't know why. ???
       Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 02:13:28 pm »
I might go for the Helmsman spar....I don't trust  the spray Tru-oil any more.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 02:14:58 pm »
As for the spray I've never used it but I think it has something to do with the propellant.
Regular TruOil dries pretty fast, if I toss the bow in my hotbox 2-3 hours and put another coat on.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 02:16:13 pm »
I've used the spar varnish and that definately takes over night to dry, but if cool and damp that can stay sticky for days also.
Also watch for drips and runs.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 02:21:48 pm »
Got a friend going to Ontario on business this week. I asked him to track down some Tru-Oil in the bottle for me.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 11:08:24 pm »
Tru oil makes a nice semi gloss finish, but it takes friggin' FOREVER!!

I am still coating my Sycamore Bow....has 7 coats on it so far...and I can still feel the Snake Scales....so it's off to the Garage and the Steel Wool for another round!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 11:17:10 pm »
  I had the same problem with Tru-Oil and Lacquer when the humidity got high and it was raining. It took forever to dry and I finally stripped it off with Acetone. It never would dry on Ipe. For oily wood ,I started using spray on oven cleaner, It's cheaper than Acetone and easy to use.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 12:25:00 am »
Oven cleaner??????WOwo, never woulda come up with that one!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 12:28:53 am »
I think I will buy the Acetone....I work around and have seen what Caustic are capable of....so I will stick to something that only causes Cancer to Lab Rats in California!!! But what ever works for you....Easy Off aint in my Bow Building Cabinet!! ;D ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome