Author Topic: Ravenbeak Longbow Review  (Read 4703 times)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
Ravenbeak Longbow Review
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:43:43 pm »
Hey guys

I just got this back from England. Reviewed by Mr. Steve Nicholson @ Archers Review. Obviously it is pretty exciting. Have a read.

http://www.archers-review.com/bow-reviews/ravenbeak-laminate-bamboo-backed-yew-english-longbow-by-jamie-mcdonald

Cheers
Jamie MacDonald
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Re: Ravenbeak Longbow Review
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 04:16:09 pm »
Do you think Steve thinks your Bow is ok?  ;)
Absolutely outstanding mate- keep up the great work!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:29:28 pm »
Good deal Jamie!
Don

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 02:37:30 am »
Who put the string in the wrong groove!
Nice bow  :) The only thing I would do differently is the nocks, just make them a little less chunky/more flowing from the end of the bow into the grooves themselves. I can see why you have done them the shape they are but you can safely remove a good chunk more material and still have them perfectly strong enough. I only leave an 1/8 above the backs level when roughing them out. I would also charge more. Look at Bickerstaffes prices....I've handled a lot of his bows and the quality seems to be heading the wrong way but people still buy them. I think you could get £600 for that bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:56:10 am »
Great review.
Laminated bows aren't my thing, but it certainly does the job and can get no higher praise than being compared to a Mary Rose bow.
Sure the Victorian style has plenty going for it, but for me I like the more medieval.
I agree with Mikes comments on the nocks. A couple of minutes flaring the string groove (my pet hate is sharp edged grooves) diablo polishing and buffing 'em up would just finish it off .
Pin that review above the workbench  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 07:56:38 am »
Hey guys

I just got this back from England. Reviewed by Mr. Steve Nicholson @ Archers Review. Obviously it is pretty exciting. Have a read.

http://www.archers-review.com/bow-reviews/ravenbeak-laminate-bamboo-backed-yew-english-longbow-by-jamie-mcdonald

Cheers
Jamie MacDonald

Hi Jamie, that's some review right there eh?!!.... "best longbow since 1415"  :o.... it doesn't really get any better than that does it?! No pressure on you there to keep doing your funky thing then?! LoL

All the best matey  ;)

John T.
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 09:03:37 am »
Congratulations! That's a great review. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sparky Buckwheat

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 01:47:27 am »
Congrats Jamie,

Your work is amazing. A mutual friend got one of your bows recently and he loves it. My wife and I enjoy the bows you helped us make at your bow building workshop last October too.  You really do have great passion for your work and attention to detail! Keep up the awesome work!