Author Topic: Yew ELB tiller check request?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Yew ELB tiller check request?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 10:40:32 am »
Yeah, that's looking much better.
Yup, carry on along the same lines. You can narrow tips now and increase the brace.
Also spend plenty of time checking the back is clean and smooth and feeling/measuring for even thickness taper or thick stiff spots.
You are 90% there now
I did the hold a CD up to the screen, looks good. :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »
Thanks Del that has reassured me greatly  it's holding together nicely so fingers crossed I'll be getting there soon.  :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline sieddy

Re: Yew ELB tiller check request? (new pics!)
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 10:58:21 am »
I think its nearly there now I've had it back to 27" where it's pulling 46. I've had a few arrows through it also, it shoots well with little handshock and I'm pretty happy with it so far (it'll be even better when I've narrowed the tips some more!)
I imagine ive still got work to do but an reluctant to lose much draw weight. The bow is flipped in the pics. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 02:23:11 pm »
If you do the CD test you'll see it sits pretty much on the arc of a circle except the last 1/4 of the upper limb looks a tad stiff still.
I've tried drawing circles and ellipses on the pic, but it looks odd as you are aiming slightly down...
It certainly looks like the upper limb is stiff relative to the lower.
Maybe try it up the other way.

Getting that tip moving a whisker won't drop much draw weight and may help kill some hand shock. Maybe it needs a slightly heavier arrow. Just going up 50grains in point weight or up form 5/16 to 11/32 in shaft diameter can make a big difference to smoothness.
The circle is the best I can get even rotating the pic a tad. It seems to suggest the lower limb is a bit over bent in the middle rather than the upper being stiff.
If I fit an ellipse to the curve of the lower limb the ellipse has a longer horzontal axis to the vertical... !
Maybe reversing it would just be enough to even it up, it's surprising what a bifferece it can make... I've had a few bows where I've done it.
Hope you don't mind me messing with it.
Del
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:13:33 pm by Del the cat »

Offline sieddy

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 03:34:48 pm »
Thanks Del. I had planned for the upper limb in that pic to be the lower (I took pics of both limbs uppermost because of the twist in the bow)
So I will take a little off the outer part of that limb. Then a few scrapes off the fades and outer on the other ( lower in the pic you kindly edited)
Thanks again for the help I definitely owe you a big box of chocolates or summat.   :D

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 04:07:42 pm »
Ah.
I missed that the pics are flipped... I'll have a go drawing circles on the top pic.
Yeah, you can see how much better it is up that way   :)
Del
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:12:53 pm by Del the cat »

Offline sieddy

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 04:32:44 pm »
Cheers mate I'm pretty chuffed seeing that!  :D