Author Topic: good , cheap video camera  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

good , cheap video camera
« on: April 30, 2015, 11:01:00 am »
I have been asked a bunch of times to make a tillering gizmo "how to" video. My ancient digital camera will shoot a video but a not long enough one for a complete production.

I would like to get one for less than $75 that will do the trick and produce video that doesn't look like it was shot by an old 8mm film camera. Any suggestions?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: good , cheap video camera
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 03:24:02 pm »
Most modern compacts will take decent video, and if you buy last years model they are cheap. Big memory cards are cheap now.
My Canon Powershot  SX230 takes decent video at the same resolution as the stills. It also has some limited slow mo capability. The main problem is the damn auto focus which insists on focusing on what it thinks you want to look at. >:(
Mine will focus on a cat's face 'cos of the face recognition, but refuses to focus on a horn nock which virtually fills the frame and focuses on the scene beyond it ::)... probably 'cos the software was written by some kid who wouldn't know a horn nock from a cow's backside!
(Thre probably is a manual focus mode somewhere, but it hidden under multiple levels of user hostile software and controlled by a thumb wheel with the sensitivity of man wearing boxing gloves trying to type)
Mind I expect only the top end stuff has decent manual focus these days.
Sorry for the rant... dunno if it helps.
The other problem is posting videos and finding they are so compressed as to be worthless, unless you join up for extra bandwidth... which doubtless costs.
Cynical ? Moi? ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

Re: good , cheap video camera
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:35:42 pm »
Does it focus on the monkey bow,Del? >:D