Author Topic: Elm haul. Bugs?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Elm haul. Bugs?
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:12:27 pm »
Someone I know was cutting some elm and I aked if they would set some straight pieces aside for me.  I got a couple branches pealed and sealed then noticed some blemishes.  Do you guys think they are borers?  I still have some logs to split but I want to know what you guys think before I go through the effort.  Let me know :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:27:46 pm by IdahoMatt »

Offline jeffp51

Re: Elm haul. Bugs?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:53:04 pm »
I have some of the same blemishes on my elm.  I tried to chase a ring under it, but my light was bad, and I failed around a knot and sortof ran out of sapwood.  It was definitely a bug on my wood--right under a hole in the bark.  If your rings are thick enough (I thought mine were, but the thickness seems to change in places on this stuff-but you are better than I) you could probably get under it.  they are not deep, I think.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 11:00:27 pm »
I was thinking of chasing down to the next ring. 

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 11:06:45 pm »
I was hoping to have a sapwood-heartwood bow.  Now it may be a heartwood-rawhide backed affair.  The bug stain was gone after one ring.  Let me know how it turns out.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:08:50 pm »
I will for sure.  I'm just putting a finish on a bow from the same tree but it didn't have any of these.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 08:24:30 am »
Did somebody say Elm Haul? :)

I doubt the borers hit you this soon after winter Matty, but who knows? Rip a ring off, if possible and see if they go away.

Jeff all heart wood will make a good elm bow to, go for it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:05:35 am »
Thanks Chris I have quite a bit more to split out.  The smaller stuff was pretty tough to split but nothing too bad.  But nothing like apple.  That stuff is a pain

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 09:32:58 am »
I've made bows from wood with marks like that.  If the rings are thick enough then just ignore
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 09:38:25 am »
Sweet,  thanks Mark.  The rings are pretty thick. 

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 03:49:44 pm »
here is my elm haul from a couple of weeks ago. I am doing a lot of reducing and waiting for wood to dry at the moment.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 05:36:31 pm »
  Those arte wood boarers. If there striped and seal the whole stave it will kill the wood boared (no air).

As soon as I can after I cut and split I'll spray with a pestside. I don't debark any staves untill I ready to use it.

I don't follow a ring on elm. If I can I like USE THE RING RIGHT UNDER THE BARK.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 10:22:31 am »
Matt, I had a lot of elm and ash infected by borers!
On elm there were one little holes, but the damned insects went in the early wood area a lot.
from some I made bows, but all exploded after a few shots by delaminating starting in that ring with the borers.
have you watched any meal? be sure of the borers, perhaps you are lucky and the holes are something quite different.
Chasing a next ring on one of the staves may give you an answer.
Good luck!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 10:30:39 am »
Thanks for the insight Simon.  I chased a ring on one yesterday.  The marks went away after some light scraping.  I had already violated down to the next ring when I noticed the blemishes we just on the surface.