Author Topic: Bradford Pear trees  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Jazzdad

Bradford Pear trees
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:40:47 pm »
Just found out that the Bradford pear tree is an invasive species here in Maryland. Implication being Im doing a civic service by taking one or two from my yard for bow wood. Anyone ever use pear tree for bows...the invader variety in particular.
I used to be a golfer, then I discovered archery.

JacksonCash

Re: Bradford Pear trees
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:17:48 pm »
Pear, in general is supposed to be very good, not sure about the bradford variety. I've seen a bunch around my neighbor hood that have caused me to wonder though...

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:09:18 pm »
I Have used it for other projects and found it to be too brittle.  I cut out a nice set of pistol stock blanks and when I put the rasp to them, the wood just went to pieces and cracked and chipped. Granted, gunstocks aren't bows and I haven't used it for a bow so I can't say. After my first experiences with it though, I probably won't, which is a shame cause it grows prolifically in my area.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 11:21:45 pm »
Ditto about it being brittle. Very weak in tension. Most of the stuff I have used has come down in storms.Lovely wood for many projects, but it would rate pretty low on my list of woods to try and make a bow out of it. If you do try I would suggest very wide limbs.
  Hamish.

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:53:48 pm »
Just read your post again and noticed the species is considered a pest in Maryland.  I missed that the first time, but agree with the disdain for the tree.  I find it amusing because people here in North Carolina plant it as if they expect it to bear cash! It's everywhere! Sorry, that's just funny to me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 04:13:49 pm »
Bradford pear is a beautiful landscape tree but because it has very weak structure it is a poor choice. It also is considered an invasive exotic. When it was first introduced in 1908 it was supposed to have sterile fruit but that eventually proved false. Now, its offspring are nasty, thorny multi stemmed shrubs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 08:03:09 pm »
I did not know that about the offspring...being thorny and shrubby. I guess it wasn't a very good idea after all...kinda like the government paying landowners way back when to plant Kudzu as a soil erosion countermeasure.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:07:28 pm »
I did not know that about the offspring...being thorny and shrubby. I guess it wasn't a very good idea after all...kinda like the government paying landowners way back when to plant Kudzu as a soil erosion countermeasure.
which led to them importing nutria rats into louisiana to eat the kudzu...

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders